Woke Up Bearded dragon Upside down dead.. :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
I woke up to see my juvinile bearded dragon that i bought from petsmart november 4th upside down dead. I have no reason why and im really sad about it. first reptile pet i've had before and I studied a lot about him.. brumation period, I could tell he was barely eating.. had crickets in there CONSTANTLY and he would not eat them. veggies also, misted him once a day. noticed he started sleeping more often. which i read about not thinking it was a big deal.. last week he was hiding in the shade and sleeping a lot, not very active.. wondering if it was an Atadenovirus. or does anyone have a Clue.. Be honest was this My fault? I gave him the lighting. bathed once a week, and cleaned his cage every month to 2 weeks. I'm really sad about this and Im wondering if there was anything I could've done to make this not happen.. I literally feel soo bad and i feel somehow This is my fault he passed away... thanks..

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there. I'm so sorry that you had this sad experience. :( It may have been one of many things....sickly batch of babies from a weak mother, calcium deficiency, impaction and yes, possibly ADV. Was he acting sickly right from the start ? Does the store still have some of his siblings, and if so how are they doing ? If it was a baby or young juvenile it definitely wasn't brumating.

If you like, post pics of your set up and list the exact type + brand of lights you were using. Here's how to post pics here :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Usually even if your care was not optimal it wouldn't cause the death in one month of owning the baby. It probably was sick before you got it.

Inferno344

Original Poster
AHBD":ohobztya said:
Hi there. I'm so sorry that you had this sad experience. :( It may have been one of many things....sickly batch of babies from a weak mother, calcium deficiency, impaction and yes, possibly ADV. Was he acting sickly right from the start ? Does the store still have some of his siblings, and if so how are they doing ? If it was a baby or young juvenile it definitely wasn't brumating.

If you like, post pics of your set up and list the exact type + brand of lights you were using. Here's how to post pics here :

Usually even if your care was not optimal it wouldn't cause the death in one month of owning the baby. It probably was sick before you got it.
Using uvb light that came with my setup for cool side for basking side 150 watt reptisun that keeps it at 105 F usually.. I dusted his crickets every day with calcium powder.. I’m wishing I knew about juveniles not brumating.. seems I didn’t do my research that well :/

Inferno344

Original Poster
Inferno344":3gxj5le9 said:
AHBD":3gxj5le9 said:

Using uvb light that came with my setup for cool side for basking side 150 watt reptisun that keeps it at 105 F usually.. I dusted his crickets every day with calcium powder.. I’m wishing I knew about juveniles not brumating.. seems I didn’t do my research that well :/
first week it didn’t seem like he was acting all slow, and sleeping, he was more active when I first got him

lizardmom25

Hatchling Member
I agree it was likely sick before you got it. My current baby is doing great, but prior to him I had one from petsmart that ended up going back within the 14 day return period because of essentially what you are describing.

For future reference however, if you choose to try again. Most of what comes in those kits is rubbish. The uvb and basking lights need to be along side each other so he gets both at the same time and in almost all situations a coil type UVB is unsuitable. You are much better off with the long tube. The lighting issue could have contributed to the slowdown but likely not enough in a month to result in death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom