Getting appetite back after antibiotics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gretchen

Hatchling Member
Through the first week of Gretchens antibiotics for coccidia I noticed she was eating pretty well but towards the end which was Wednesday her appetite was so-so. She won't hunt for her crickets. If they come by her way and she can get them she will. Or if I hand feed her them. Started bene-bac yesterday morning and will continue for about a week I was advised to do. I sprinkled her live feed today with the probiotics and coaxed them to her and she ate. Just wondering how long it takes for their appetites to come back? I'm bringing in her stool sample this weekend to be tested and I'm praying it comes back negative.

I tried to syringe feed her the other day with a mix of grub pie and the bene-bac which was a mess lol she probably ingested 1/3 of it the rest on her and a towel lol

I hate seeing her not acting like herself. Breaks my heart ??

Thanks to everyone for all your help recently. ?

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
It might take a week or two for her to bounce back. Keep offering probiotics and keep your temps up (no lower than 80 on the cool end and at night), as this will be the most helpful. If possible, I would recommend switching to a paste form of probiotic (ex: Bene-Bac Bird and Reptile Gel) administered via syringe and dosed based on weight. This is a more reliable method of getting the probiotics into her.

Gretchen

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
HylianHealeys":1zbpdupt said:
It might take a week or two for her to bounce back. Keep offering probiotics and keep your temps up (no lower than 80 on the cool end and at night), as this will be the most helpful. If possible, I would recommend switching to a paste form of probiotic (ex: Bene-Bac Bird and Reptile Gel) administered via syringe and dosed based on weight. This is a more reliable method of getting the probiotics into her.

Hi HylianHealeys,

Thanks for getting back to me :) I was originally going to get the gel but the pet store i went to didn't have any left so i got the powder along with the Grub Pie to be given by syringe. Which kind of worked like i mentioned but not really. It was a complete mess. I also don't think i have mastered syringe feeding yet and shes not the easiest to feed. Shes very stubborn and it took a lot for her to even open her mouth so i could get it in. Eventually she was licking what was coming out of the syringe but by that time it was half empty lol Ill check out Amazon.ca for the gel form today. As for her temps ive been keeping it at 82F at night on her cool end and she sleeps with a face cloth (blankie) over her body
93727-1880795951.jpg
So ill just keep "hand feeding" her live and whatever veggies she does eat and start the gel bene-bac next week when i get it in the mail. ill continue the powder for now.
Thanks for your help :)
xo Krista & Gretchen

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
Getting beardies to open their mouths for a syringe can be suuuper tricky. I've had the most success with wedging their mouth open with a credit card (be as gentle as you can here), then sticking the syringe in really quickly so if they do bite down, they can't spit it out. Then I just squirt it in. They don't trust me around their mouths for a while afterward, but it's for the best.

Gretchen

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
HylianHealeys":19d4c0et said:
Getting beardies to open their mouths for a syringe can be suuuper tricky. I've had the most success with wedging their mouth open with a credit card (be as gentle as you can here), then sticking the syringe in really quickly so if they do bite down, they can't spit it out. Then I just squirt it in. They don't trust me around their mouths for a while afterward, but it's for the best.

Yah the vet did that when I brought her in a few weeks ago. She was pissed (Gretchen that was lol) I might have to try that tomorrow. Thanks again ??

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can get them to open their mouths by wrapping them up like a burrito. Then with one hand hold her and use your thumb to slide her beard down (using a bit of friction) which will pull on her bottom jaw and she will open it. My vet taught me that with Dundee and it worked well. Safer than putting anything near their gums/tooth and prying. It annoys them briefly but they don't seem to hold a grudge at all.

Gretchen

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":19rgadbs said:
You can get them to open their mouths by wrapping them up like a burrito. Then with one hand hold her and use your thumb to slide her beard down (using a bit of friction) which will pull on her bottom jaw and she will open it. My vet taught me that with Dundee and it worked well. Safer than putting anything near their gums/tooth and prying. It annoys them briefly but they don't seem to hold a grudge at all.

Oh that's sounds like a better plan. Thanks CooperDragon ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom