ADV/ Brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
I really need help. I think my boy really wants to brumate, and I've yet to deal with a brumating dragon, let alone one with ADV. I thought he was just being picky with food (roaches) cuz he was still eating calcium worms. Haven't offered them in a few days in an attempt to stop the pickyness, but he seems to be sleeping more, (still fairly alert) so I'm trying not to bother him too much. But i don't have any idea how i provide hydration and the "ADV supplements" if he brumates. ( it's been hard enough recently as he seems not so interested in the slurry i put the supplements in. Also he had some pinworms last time i checked, (started the panacur treatment about a week and a half ago, 3 doses, wait 3 weeks, then 3 more, but vet only provided .1 ml per dose, seems small for a 600 gram dragon) i know i need to be sure they're gone before decreasing light time and such. Though I've learned some things (re: beardies) over time, I'm truly lost here. One other thing, I've REALLY been wanting to start giving colodial silver, (right now i just give serrapeptase, milk thistle, bee pollen, and vitamin c) however i really know nothing about how to dose it. How much, how often, what kind of "on/off cycle," etc... I've also heard there's a potential of silver being harmful. (What's that about?)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, if he's been a healthy dragon then he's O.K for a brumation, even with ADV. It sounds like he is quite a large dragon, at 600 grams, what is his length ? Only sickly dragons should be kept from brumating, so let him do his thing for a while. He should not lose much weight at all, and sometimes it can be more stressful to the dragon if you don't allow them to sleep when their instincts to sleep kick in. If he's healthy , he'll be fine.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
He's, 20 inches, what about colodial silver? What about providing the other supplements I've been giving (how do i do it). What about multivitamins and calcium? What about pinworms? I mean, his count was low when i started the panacur, but i still have another week before the second round.
What about changing light cycle? Hours on? (I've heard some people cut lights out completely) Night temps? He's not eaten (I've really only been passively offering roaches, no interest, and a very small amount of slurry to get his serrapeptase, milk thistle, and bee pollen in him) or really moved much from "his corner" in 4 days. He is still fairly alert, though i suspect as soon as stop petting him and I'm out of view, he likely closes his eyes again. He certainly doesn't act or appear sickly. When i take him out (briefly, for slurry or to love him) he's in tune and strong (grabbing ahold of me). Probably the ONLY thing that seems SLIGHTLY curious, is that his color seems a bit dull, not that he's a particularly colorful boy, but...EH, I'm sure it's nothing. Anyway, i think that's the extent of my questions. Please do answer what you can. OH, and hydration, I've heard that's quite important during brumation, though he is IMPOSSIBLE to give water to. He won't lick it, and he's got a death grip jaw. Obviously i can give him a bath, but it's unlikely he'll drink the bath water, and i know his body physically being in water won't have any effect on his hydration. And this especially seems like it could be a concern if he's not eating, therefore not getting hydrated via roaches and veggies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He's probably just going through a slow down, you don't have to let it be a true brumation by cutting the lights out. Beardies can handle it in a lot of ways, you CAN reduce the hours that the lights are on by 2-3 less per day [ giving him a chance to sleep a little longer ] If he takes his slurry willingly, that's all he'll need for a few weeks and a bit of extra water. Hydration need only be offered every 10 days during a true brumation, there was a time years ago when my dragons slept with no lights, food, water for 2-3 months at 60 degrees with no ill effects so they are built for this type of thing. Still, your guy will not go through that but should do fine with less of everything. I wouldn't worry about dewormer now or starting the col. silver unless you can add it to his slurry and he'll take it that way.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So don't finish the panacur? Thank you so much for replying. And the comment about your beardies brumating, seriously relieved me. I truly truly appreciate you, as does RJ. Though i suspect he worries a tiny bit less than me :) so should i not bother to offer food? Also he was on a light schedule of 6-8. About a month ago i changed it to 7-8, and past few nights of put him to bed at 7. Where do you suggest going from there?

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Also, exactly how much should i not bother him? Is it ok on the weekends (when i'm home more) to lay with him and let him nap/ sleep WITH me?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
R.J is seriously relaxing while you are pacing , pulling out your hair + wringing your hands. :lol:
No, it's understandable to worry. And I am offering suggestions but every dragon is different. If he wants to snuggle with you that's O.K, but if he seems to want to stay put in his tank then go with that. Offer small amounts of food weekly, maybe just once a week because you don't want very large meals sitting in his stomach for too long. Lights can be reduced to 10-12 hours, it's really variable.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Omg, hahaha! Ya he does tend to wanna hop back in his tank when I'm holding him in front of the sliding glass opening right after i pick him up sometimes. Sorry, you didn't answer, so you think i don't need to do the second round of panacur? And your saying not to about supplements, even multi and calcium? Even with his ADV?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah, sounds like he just wants to stay put. :) And no, I meant that you can give him supplements if he's willing to take them. It doesn't have to be every day and it can be mixed in with other things. Even if it's hit or miss he should be fine. I wouldn't bother with the dewormer until he's more up + about. He's a very big dragon with a lot of weight on him so he should be fine.

You might just let this go on for 4-6 weeks + then increase his heat back to normal and see how he reacts. My guess is that he'll lose very little weight and be totally fine.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Wait, increase heat? I don't recall you saying anything about decreasing it? Or were you referring to the amount of time the heat is on?
ALSO, now I'm confused. I get out of the shower, and here he is
89591-8679256402.jpg
He's been in that back left corner, the past 4 days. Atleast what I've seen/ not seen during the week (when I'm working)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, sorry I meant the lights , photoperiod back up to 13-14 hours [ 14 better ] And again, they all do this differently, that's why it's O.K to let them do their thing. Some just get a bit more sleepy for a week, some do this then go back to sleep, some will sleep the entire time. He knows what he wants to do, no worries. :) When I mentioned 4-6 weeks, that is IF he stayed put in the corner with no activity. He may go back again but this is all normal.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
And now he'd like a snack please.
89591-9658939843.jpg
:)
I was gonna only give 4 roaches if he wanted any, because of what you said about food, but the 4th ran under him and he doesn't like that, so he stopped at 3 then munched on some arugala :) Thanks again AHBD! You've certainly eased my mind :)

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
It's just so confusing sometimes, i fear he's ill cuz of my baby rex passing, i worry when he doesn't eat roaches, cuz he'll CHOW DOWN on calcium worms, i worry about hydration cuz he never drinks, but i guess with his weight, strength, and alertness when i hold him, it's obviously all in my head. I mean it only makes sense that when they want/ need something they'll take it or look for it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom