yellow fungus

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a bearded dragon who was diagnosed with yellow fungus by two vets a week ago. it’s a yellow patch on about half of his beard. he just started shedding his beard, and the yellow part is just coming off with it. am i out of the woods? or is this a normal thing that happens during yellow fungus

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry to ear this. Can you post a few good pics of the beard ? Was the diagnosis based on appearance or was a skin scraping done ? That's the way to truly determine if it's Y.F. rather than scabby skin.

Y.F. is very serious and beardies can't get rid of it on their own, and not always even with treatment. The med. prescribed for it is oral voraconazole.

Here's how to post pics, please do ASAP.
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

caitlinramlogan

Original Poster
he is very active still, eating and pooping normally, he’s a bit grumpy right now because he’s shedding around his eyes and he hates that

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome. :) I do worry about your vet though, doesn't seem to know much about beardies. I'd hesitate to go there anymore. Find a good qualified reptile vet for future.

caitlinramlogan

Original Poster
yeah i was thinking the same thing so i went to another vet who said it was yf as well. i guess we don’t have great vets where i live

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Many vets will see beardies but do not have much experience with them. That's why forums like this are a valuable asset to dragon owners. There are people on here that know a lot more than vets. You'd be surprised at how many misdiagnosed cases there are on these forums, it's unreal.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that it's just a shed. They often get a yellow tint to them like that. YF tends to look more scab like and wounded. I don't see cause for concern here. If a vet suspected YF then a skin sample should be tested in order to either confirm or rule it out.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, that definitely doesn't look like yellow fungus at all, to me. Are they going to do a free
free analysis on the yellow/shed skin for you?
That really just looks like a regular looking shed! It is a much better scenario than yellow
fungus, for sure.

Tracie

caitlinramlogan

Original Poster
yes they did a free analysis for me and said they didn’t see anything on the skin. however they’re not saying whether he does or doesn’t have yellow fungus so i don’t really know what’s going on lol

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He does not have Y.F
These vets really don't know much about beardies. Anyone that has owned a beardie for a few years will have seen a shed like that....I've seen 100's . Don't waste your time + money with them. It's not Y.F., just a shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom