Handling 2 dragons one with coccidia one w/out

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
I recently realized the only thing that kills coccidia is steam, baking, and amonia based products. (Unless i misunderstood)
So how is it then, that you clean your hands between handling multiple dragons??? Also, when my boy has had coccidia, while giving treatment, i take EVERYTHING out at night, steam the enclosure and appropriate decor, and bake the rest, but what about him? I can't stream or bake him. Can't his body spread it?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hand washing will loosen the coccidia and rinse it away off your hands like dirt. Washing your hands between handling them should be fine. I would wipe his bum after he poops and give it a spray with something like Vetericyn to help prevent him from spreading it around from his skin.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Kills coccidia? Sounds like it's a good thing to have handy. Do you know the shelf life?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't used it against coccidia (just pinworms and flagellates at my vet's recommendation). It is a hypochlorous acid which may not be strong enough to be effective against coccidia (after some further reading - https://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2015/430610/). I would still wipe the bum down and maybe use some soap and water to try and remove any coccidia from the skin (maybe a wet wipe?) to try and minimize potential for re-infection after treatment. Washing your hands is key to protecting transmission through your hands though and thorough hand washing with soap and warm water should remove the coccidia from your hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom