Not having a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemberger

Hello!
I have an almost 5 mo old dragon. Generally in good health. Temps are 105-110 degrees F for basking spot. Cool side around 75-80 degrees F. 40 gal tank. Reptisun 10.0 T5 with Flood light on a dimmer right next to each other. Eating Roaches very well and a mixed salad of greens. I have tried added different kinds of squash and the occasional food options, but all she wants are the greens. Poop smells horrendous, but well formed and well formed urates. We have been battling coccidia ever since we got her in June. We are on the third treatment. First two was Albon, this time it is Ponazuril (I don't want to get into the vet, and medications though). I am a registered vet tech and I trust my doctors.

I am getting frustrated with the cleaning process. Here is what I am doing. Tank has everything removed but paper towels, two bricks and one piece of slate tile for a basking area
Every day, take Arrow out, put in plastic tub where she poops then gets out and explores. Then I take out the paper towels, put the two bricks and slate tile in the over cook at 250 degrees for 45 min. Steam clean the tank, each "strip"/"row" I take 1 min on then onto the next row. takes about 35-40 min. I let that dry out with a fan. Line tank with new paper towels and clean brick and tile go in. Steam clean the plastic tub, food dishes ( twice a day). Once I put the roaches in the tank and she doesn't eat them all, I don't put them back in the roach bin. Trying to keep everything separate and clean.

I am just now realizing my steam cleaner is not getting hot enough, only getting to 140 degrees F at the most. Now I need to buy another one?!
Bought the cleaner F10 (ready to use). Does this kill coccidia?? I am getting mix responses on this question. I spray it, leave visibly wet for 10 min then let air dry. If I could use this in the tank and tub that would make things a little bit easier.

Almost at the end of my rope :cry: I don't want to throw the towel in, but this is much more work and money spent than I was planning or thought. I did plenty of research prior to getting our Arrow, but it is one of those things where you have to do it to actually know how you will like it.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, don't throw in the towel !! Good signs are that the beardie is eating. Most beardies with a very high count of coccidia lack such an appetite. Do you know the count ?

If her count is medium to low, I'd let her be a dragon Don't obsess about cleaning, and yes from what I've heard the F-10 kills it. I would wipe it off afterwards though. Red wine vinegar mixed with waer is also much more powerful than bleach so you can use that as well.

But if she's eating well + acting healthy I wouldn't keep medicating her and I'd clean just the areas that are poo'd on daily + the rest of the viv weekly.

Mysty

Juvie Member
Is it a colony of dubia? Because if so it could be from those.

On the plus side, coccidia in low levels is manageable for an otherwise healthy dragon. I'm sure what you're doing is helping a lot.

Hemberger

Original Poster
All three times the count has come back as too numerous to count (TNTC). What is the mixture for the red wine vinegar mixed with water? Yes she seems to be perfectly fine and eating well.

I realized I was probably contaminating my roach bin, so I (sadly!!!) killed all of them, bought another 500 batch and cleaned out the bin before putting the "clean" ones in there. I am worried I didn't get it though with my steamer not getting hot enough?? I don't have a colony, just ordering online for right now.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Five tablespoons of RWV to a liter of water is recommended but it probably doesn't hurt to make it stronger.

Hemberger

Original Poster
Okay thank you!! And does that kill coccidia??

Also, since the count is TNTC I should still be cleaning every day?

I also, spray her bottom with Vetericyn after she poops.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It should....it kills cholera + is used for killing germs/parasites on veggies. It's about 100X stronger than bleach.

If you're worried about her cage decor you might collect cardboard egg crating and other cardboard boxes to make basking platforms that can be thrown away every day.

How long have you used the Ponazuril ? That usually kicks it in 2-3 days.

Hemberger

Original Poster
I just have two bricks, and a slate tile in her cage right now. Usually I have a lot more stuff for her to climb on. But for cleaning every day purposes I just have that. I have two sets of bricks that I rotate while one is in the oven and cooling off for the next day. I gave the first dose Sat 19th and then I was suppose to do another dose 48 hrs after that. Then wait two weeks and do it again. I have not noticed a change in her poop smell yet. I didn't realize the roach bin was probably a big source of contamination till a couple days after I did the first dose. I is just a mess. I feel like I am contaminating everything after I do something. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom