Info on Amoeba Infection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romicron

I went to the vet to pick up another round of meds for an amoeba infection.

It's being treated with Metronidazole. He was on 0.01cc, but increased in size roughly 17x since the original date of diagnosis, so they upped his dose as the previous dosage was all but ineffective.

I haven't been able to find out much info about this. Has anyone had to deal with this or treat this? I'm not even sure what it's doing to Pascal - aside from some occasionally smelly poop, he seems to be doing just fine.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, how long has he been on the meds ? Was Pascal acting sick before the meds ? If it's been a long time be careful because long term antibiotic use can mess up the immune system, leaving a beardie susceptible to all sorts of other problems, including yellow fungus disease.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree. It's best to be conservative with meds as much as you can. Has a follow up fecal exam been done? If the Metronidizole hasn't been effective after a few weeks then something like Ronidizole may be, but it is harsher. I would have another fecal test done and then determine if you want to continue treatment or not. If he's otherwise healthy it may be best to just give him a break from the meds for a while. I'm going through this with Darwin too and when a couple rounds of Ronidizole didn't help the loose poop I stopped treatment and am trying to treat the loose poops as a symptom of something like irritable bowel or crohn's perhaps. The flagellates may have been a red herring for a digestive issue in which case the meds would only have a downside.

Romicron

Original Poster
He started on Metronidizole ~2-2.5 months ago. He was to be given 0.01cc every day for 3 days, then a 10 day break - repeat. He has had four rounds at 0.01cc and one round at 0.1 cc (see below). When he was prescribed the meds, he was 13g.

Now, he's 170g, but the dosage was never raised, he continued to take 0.01cc, and that wouldn't have done much to his system at the higher weights.

A fecal was redone and he retested positive on Friday. I picked up the new batch of meds on Tuesday, at which point they upped the dosage to 0.17cc given his new weight (he's growing fast).

His last batch of meds was on Saturday/Sunday/Monday, which we did at 0.1cc (not having an exact figure but trying to increase based on a conservative estimate of the weight change ratio). His next batch would not start until next Friday.

I'm leaning towards running another 2 months until the next fecal, but if others have strong opinions otherwise, I'm open to considering those.

I also need to pick up F10C; can that be purchased through stores or can it only be ordered online? We have trouble with online orders as we live in a basement apartment without a separate mailbox and rely on the landlords upstairs to sort the mail in a timely fashion. (This is why I cannot order feeders online :banghead:)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't have a strong opinion about it and if you want to give another round at the updated dosage, go for it. I just wanted to share my thoughts for your consideration. I'm not sure there is a set right answer. I hope the meds work this time though. It's a good sign that he has grown so much over this time. It means that he is able to digest and absorb nutrients properly despite the infection.

As far as the F10 goes, I get it online from Bean Farm. I haven't seen it locally but a farm supply store might carry it. I can get animal meds and cleaners at the one near my house. A vet's office may carry it as well since it's a popular veterinary disinfectant.

Romicron

Original Poster
Thanks. The first reptile store and vet that I went to didn't carry F10, but the second reptile store had it in concentrate. Now I have my water, vinegar, and F10 spray bottles ready to go!

I'll probably keep him on the meds for the next 2 months, then give him a 2 month break regardless of whatever the fecal test returns. If it's still positive, I'll try out some alternative health measures instead (if anyone has some suggestions, that would be great!).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Cool. Yeah it comes in several sizes but the really small bottles will last for a long time. I have the smallest one and it has lasted over a year. You wind up putting something like 3ml for every 25oz spray bottle of water.

Do let me know how things go with the meds. I hope they help. I would also offer some probiotics daily to help condition his digestive tract. Either the Acidophiliz+ from here http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Acid.html or the Reptiphilus from here http://www.bug-de-lite.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=Acidophiliz (or both) are good options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom