Red mites on my beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khaleesii

My beardie has been acting different over the past month. He isnt as interested in eating and looks out of it or depressed at times. Then I found a small red mite (looks exactly like the chiggers I see outside) on him. I have seen 2 more since. Can beardies get mites from just going outside? I live in New Jersey. I guess I could have touched an animal at the last reptile expo and given it to him that way. Just wondering if he can catch the ones outside. He loved going out and romping around.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Unfortunately they can get mites from going outside!
Do you have loose substrate in his tank?
I would take out any wood pieces, wash them in hot soapy water, then bake them for
around 20-30 minutes at 250 or so. You can bathe him in a diluted betadine bath to get
the mites off.

Tracie

Khaleesii

Original Poster
No I dont have loose substrate I use newspaper and tile. I took everything out of his tank and cleaned it with vinegar several times. I also bathed him and took out all tank furniture and made some temporary furniture out of cardboard for him (he seems to like it). I ordered prevent-a-mite and reptile relief to help clean him and his enclosure but waiting for them to be shipped to me. I lost a snake to mites many years ago so it scares me. Do you think I need to see a vet for this? It seems like they would just tell me to buy the mite products and send me on my way.

I also scrubbed his furniture and put it in the freezer thinking that this would kill off any mites but Im not sure what freezing does to them. I might just throw it all out though. Im afraid to take him outside now :( Its so strange as my last house had tons of chiggers running around on the sidewalk and he was always crawling around there and never got them.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
A certified Reptile vet would be a very good idea, as if you see an experienced one they should prescribed him a prescription-strength antiparasitic rather than the over-the-counter remedies that not only don't typically work very well or at all, but can also contain cheaper ingredients that can be harmful to your beardie. Think of it in terms of a dog with ticks or fleas. You go to Walmart and buy a cheap Hartz or Pet Armor flea and tick spray or spot-on and it doesn't kill the eggs left behind, only kills the live ticks and fleas crawling on him. Then you take the dog to the vet and they give them the good stuff that kills the eggs. And you end up spending twice as much as you would have had you just taken him to the vet to begin with.

I'd also be very careful with any of those things you put in their enclosures that are supposed to keep them free of bugs, they are literally poisons that you're hanging in their enclosures and it's always there, constantly exposing them to the poison. I know lots of people who have lost their pet birds because their bird got mites or feather lice and they went out and bought one of those things and hung it in their cage, and the exposure to the poison killed their parrots.

Safest way is an experienced reptile vet giving you a prescription that will kill both the living mites that are on him (you cannot see them all and can never see the eggs) and the eggs they lay on him as well. You need to sanitize EVERYTHING in his enclosure and the enclosure itself, but I wouldn't do it until you get him treated because you're just going to reinfect the enclosure and the stuff inside it. As stated, to kill them all AND the eggs, soapy water won't do it, you need to soak it all in bleach water, rinse well, then bake in the oven AFTER you get your beardie treated, or keep him in a another enclosure until he gets treated. They're hard to get rid of because of the eggs, so the vet is so much easier.

Khaleesii

Original Poster
Thanks guys. Yeah unfortunately I have very little faith in vets when it comes to exotics. I have taken him to a vet that specializes in herps and he tried to tell me that he had lost his tail at some point and regrown it because the end of his tail was darker. Beardies dont regrow tails and being that they are one of the most popular pet reptiles he should have known this...he seemed to have little knowledge about beardies.

I had planned on taking him to a new vet but am doubtful that I will find one I can trust. I still plan on taking him for a general wellness visit even though I fear its a waste of money. I did research those products and they were recommended on multiple sites and message boards and they were made specifically for lizards. I wouldnt use anything meant for other animals as I know it could hurt him. If anyone lives in New Jersey and knows of a good exotic vet def let me know.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Just wondering how everything was going?
Do you have a steamer? That would work, plus it's safe.
Are you still seeing mites?
You could build him a little play area where he could stay in to play outdoors. Mites are a pain that is for sure. You should be able to get them under control though.

Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

Khaleesii

Original Poster
I did the provent a mite treatment in his tank several days ago and a light treatment of the reptile spray on him and he has been back to his old self. It might also be because the weather got so warm though and as soon as I put him in the window sill he pepped up real quick. I wasnt actually seeing mites on him anymore for a couple of days prior to the treatment but I know there could be eggs so wanted to make sure to kill them before they got out of control. I hadnt thought of using my steamer but thats a great idea :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great it seems you have gotten rid of the problem! :D Steamers are good for pretty much everything, too. I'm glad to hear he is doing well & back to his active self also!
Mites are such a huge pain.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom