Is this yellow fungus

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmc2015

My dragon name meeko has just gotten over a respiratory infection. But he randomly gets these yellow patches of skin they do not turn black and it goes away each shed he spent a year on fungal meds from his previous ve ans it didnt clear it all up. My new vet doesn't seem concerned. Please help

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, Meeko looks like a big boy . :) it's hard to tell if that's Y.F. or just a dirty shed. What type of fungal meds. was Meeko on ? Was it a cream [ topical ] or was it oral ? Did your previous vet do a skin scrape to determine that it was Y.F. or did he just assume that ? If so, that was pretty irresponsible if they didn't have a lab look at his skin to analyze it. So without the skin scraping it would really be a guess, although if he's had that for a year I would think it would have become much worse if it's truly Y.F.

hmc2015

Original Poster
It's was oral medicine called traconazole 25mg in amond oil. She did absolutely no labs. So when meeko got sick with the coughing I switched vets because I didn't think she was capiable

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, that's a long time to be on a powerful med. with no actual diagnosis. Can you post a pic of the belly without your hand in the way ? I'm trying to see if that's just old shedding skin.

You should insist that your new vet do a skin scrape, that's the only way to rule out Y.F. for sure. If it's not Y.F., your last vet wasted your time + money as well as subjected your dragon to a powerful chemical that was never needed.

hmc2015

Original Poster
I took him to the vet today and my new vet didn't do any test. He looked him over which meeko did not enjoy and he said that fungus has a pattern to it and he wouldn't be so healthy if it was. He said him being on that medicine for a year is proof enough that it's not. He said it's bad shed because you can tell where he's shed it off and his scales are healthy. He said if it was fungus it wouldn't be so random and my other lizards wold have it. But through his mid section he's always had trouble when I got him he had a huge bump of retained shed. So I hope the vets right. I really do trust this one he saved meekos life when he had the cough.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hmmmm....I still would recommend a skin scraping. And no, Y.F. does not have a pattern to it, I've seen tons of threads here about Y.F. Still, it would seem that he'd be more sickly if he had it, but I'd still insist on the scraping.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, it doesn't really look like fungus, but it would be a good idea to get a skin scraping to culture just to be sure. Since he has had some trouble with shedding for awhile, you just never know. There are other fungus issues too, not just yellow fungus.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom