Yellow Fungus and not pooping....they related?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jlcrump

I am new to this site and it was suggested I start a new thread...which I think is a super idea. I have a 4 year old male beardie that was passed around when people got tired of the work I guess. Anyway, I read every article I could find on BD and watched every You Tube video out there.
I noticed a greenish spot on Chio's head a couple weeks ago and thought it was just a stain from his greens (like a dog gets grass stains). When it didn't go away after a few baths, I took him to the vet today. I also took him in because he hadn't pooped in almost 2 weeks. I have only had him 10 months and he never been much of a pooper so I wasn't super worried about that part.
Vet did X-rays and said his bones look amazing and there is no impaction and no poop back up. Where did the poop go and is this fungus causing it? He just woke up 6 weeks ago from a 4 month Brumation and I wonder if being asleep so long wiped out his immune system.
Vet also did a skin scrape but she didn't see anything, which she said isn't uncommon. Lots done and very few answers.
It's the weekend so my vet can't call in this med to treat the possible YF. She did say however last she checked the med was over $100. I am wondering if it might be better and financially better to have him put under, then do a biopsy and find out if it's really YF. Apparently this illness is hard to verify.
I'm open to any and all input because I am really trying to do right by this guy. Thanks and I will include a photo of the "lesion" on his head...it's pretty apparent.
91330-483553708.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, Chio is a nice looking boy and it's good that he seems healthy over all. :) The spot may or may not be Y.F, a scraping should be able to tell if that's what it is. I think that since that was inconclusive you might just treat it topically, keep him dry and clean + disinfect his tank. You might dab that area with Betadine 2-3X a day [ watered down to look like iced tea ] Then at night put some Lamisil antifungal cream on it. If it's not actually Y. F that might take care of it and if it is just the beginning of Y.F it still can be helpful. Don't bathe him anymore [ it can spread the Y.F ] unless he really gets dirty [ like a poo smear ] , just offer water via syringe on his snout. Adults may drink once a week that way, he may take 20-30 seconds to realize it's a drink so you can drip, stop, repeat. Extra hydration can help him poo, and you can offer baby food squash, unsweetened applesauce or canned pumpkin with a few drops of veg. oil added.

Hopefully it's not Y.F and can clear up. Best wishes to Chio !

Jlcrump

Original Poster
Thanks AHBD- today had X-rays, which were great. Doc gave me a topical in mean time called Silvadene. I assume it's an anti fungal. Monday I'll get cost for the YF med and cost of a biopsy and weigh the options. I have read horror stories about this YF. Only had this guy about 10 months but he's had enough inconsistency in his 4 years being passed around, so trying to do things right. I never thought I'd enjoy a reptile so much. ?
91330-483553708.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom