Doing your own fecal exams

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I was wondering if anyone has suggestions, links or pictures of possible protozoa and other things bearded dragons can get. I have a basic understanding of how to find the common parasites through fecal float. I have tried smears but unsure of what to look for. I also thought about using stains. I'm not entirely sure of what the procedure is for that or if it is really necessary. What stains should I use? My microscope can do up to 1000x. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Gentian Violet is the typical stain used. My microbiology courses were nearly 30 years ago so I'm way out of practice to give very good advice on it though :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Beautiful Dragons has a quick reference chart that might be helpful http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Parasitechart.html

Using the chart it does look like the first could be a hookworm egg which some Panacur should be able to take care of. Second is maybe a roundworm? I'm really not sure though. I'm not experienced with detecting these and am just comparing the photos to the chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom