Yellow fungus?Yes Frankie did have Y.F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great, I am happy to hear it hasn't spread! It was likely a shed. It sounds like she is eating very well also! I hope she continues to have a big appetite & stays healthy, too. :D

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I don't think it is yellow fungus. Is it thicker than usual or crusty?
Try some baths to see if that helps with shedding of it so you can take a look at it.
Let us know how Frankie is doing. Just keep an eye on it & hopefully nothing develops from it.

Tracie

nathb1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Tracie,

Its only on that side, its crusty like caked? She has only shed twice since we got her, its thicker then last time..Im giving her baths to try and see if it come off.
I will let you know in days to come.She does try to rub it off.. I have Dixie she shed diferent, turns white pre shed.Frankie is hard to tell in pre shed i only notice when she starts shedding...maybe its due to her coloring?...
Ty for advice and opinion much appreciated
Nat

nathb1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well unfortunately Frankie did have yellow fungus. Vet conformed it and we had her euthanized yesturday due to the fungus starting to get into her eye and her ear hole was thick with crust. At least vet was honest about the outcome of her pulling her through and we decided not to put her through that. When the first dot appeared in January I knew in my gut that it was Y>F it got worse the last couple of months. Frankie came to us at 7 grams on 23/12/2016 and she was up to 70 as of 18/03/2017 .

She was a sweet beardie with a good appetite even eating her greens everyday! Y.F sucks big time. Hopefully one day they will be a cure and Y.F wont be known as a deadly disease.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Darn, I was afraid that it was. I'm so sorry Nat, what an unfair blow to you + a helpless little creature. My heart goes out to you. :(

nathb1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":21f8gwxz said:
Darn, I was afraid that it was. I'm so sorry Nat, what an unfair blow to you + a helpless little creature. My heart goes out to you. :(

Thanks AHBD, well my spouse learned a lesson if you get it at petsmart you never know what can happen. I still have Dixie and hope that she has not been contaminated even tho I took precautions , and treated as it was YF even if I didnt have confirmation from a vet. I knew it my heart that it was and was hoping that maybe it would go away by a miracle , sigh.
Past couple of weeks I was steaming her cage everyday and using monastat but the fungus still got worse and I thought well we can go another 6 months but you are just prolonging the inevitable and I couldnt let her detoriate like that. As soon as I saw the yellow around her eye that was it

My vet was wonderful, she stated her case study in school was a BD that had fungus and he lasted for three year but with constant care and meds. And lost a leg in the process. She didnt say there's a cure or offered us meds or treatment she acknowledge it was YF and we took the decision to put her down. She stated even with a skin graph sometime it can't be 100% sure it is YF . She stated they still unsure how YF is transmitted . But i do know its a serious problem , many have died from it, pretty disappointed when you think your reptile has something has stupid as fungus that cant be cured huh.PPl have fungus they dont die why them? Anywho thanks for your kind words AHBD :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're very welcome, I am sad to read that but glad to hear that Dixie is doing well. :)

As for Y.F, it is actually not just a fungus.....it is CANV, which is a flesh eating disease and often is inside as well as outside of the reptile. Here's more on it, sorry that it includes very graphic pics. But the fact that it's flesh eating that causes it to be deadly.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjHgoWrmu3SAhUH62MKHVviALwQFgghMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.everythingreptile.org%2Fyellow-fungus.html&usg=AFQjCNG1EZ4lNkqCRo0bjEH-3xEHhTeszg&sig2=9KtHXyuTfyxuue6McL0kXg

nathb1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the Info, is that the same Sue with Dino? I read her heart gutting thread , sheesh if someone deserved a happy ending it was her. That women went to hell and back for that beardie and the outcome was heart breaking. I think because of her journey I chose a different route maybe selffish of me but I could have not devoted myself to Frankie as she did for Dino. And go through all of that and know she has all the odds against her.

Jlcrump

New to site but it's been very valuable. This was the first place I had heard of yellow fungus but when a greenish spot appeared on Chio's head I looked here. I at the vet NOW and vet said it looks like YF. She mentioned trying to do a skin scrape and also did X-rays. Waiting for results. History in Chio; he was a neighbor girls birthday gift in 2013 and after being passed around to several families, he ended up with clueless me. I watched every video and read every article on BD so I could do right by this guy.

X-rays look amazing, great bones but skin scrape didn't do much. Will call me back next week with prices on meds (she thought over $100) vs a biopsy under sedation. Wow! Who knew. I have pics of the "lesion" but not sure how to post. Thanks!

91330-483553708.jpg

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
So sorry to hear about your bearded dragon. Yellow fungus is a horrible condition and sadly it's pretty common in bearded dragons. The outcome usually isn't very good...

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Please start a new thread so we can keep these issues separate and more easily follow your situation. If the scraping shows that this is YF it looks like it's early and can probably be treated with a combination of oral anti-fungals (Voriconizole) and topical anti-fungals (lamisil, or concentrated F10SC).

Jlcrump":1ne259on said:
New to site but it's been very valuable. This was the first place I had heard of yellow fungus but when a greenish spot appeared on Chio's head I looked here. I at the vet NOW and vet said it looks like YF. She mentioned trying to do a skin scrape and also did X-rays. Waiting for results. History in Chio; he was a neighbor girls birthday gift in 2013 and after being passed around to several families, he ended up with clueless me. I watched every video and read every article on BD so I could do right by this guy.

X-rays look amazing, great bones but skin scrape didn't do much. Will call me back next week with prices on meds (she thought over $100) vs a biopsy under sedation. Wow! Who knew. I have pics of the "lesion" but not sure how to post. Thanks!

91330-483553708.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom