Dealing with coccidia medication

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfiala

Hi!
I'm new to the forum and have a bearded dragon named toothy. She(although still not certain on gender) is currently on medication for the next 18 days(21 day total), and has pretty much stopped eating food all together. She is believed to be 6 to 7 months old, and is 11 3/4 inches, and 74 grams.
The important(what I believe) info:
- she has recently had a complete terrarium reformation for she used have repti-sand but now I have switched it to newspaper, and tile as a surface with towels on the cool side and paper towels on the hot side for her to dig in (she loves climbing into the paper towels and used to love to dig in the sand.
- she loves digging into the paper towels on the hot side as mentioned before, and hiding under her basking log where they are located
- her primary diet is super worms and dubias. She used to eat a super worm the instant she sensed its presence but now won't even eat it when tweezer fed. She used to eat endive a ton but I switched her salad to kale, bok choy, red pepper, tomatoes and butternut squash but I feel like the endives were watery so she liked them.
- she is now taking her meds before everything in the morning. I'm wondering whether I should give her the medal after she eats?
- she has been lazier/ a little lethargic in the morning but loves basking until 4(bed time at 6) and burrowing herself into her blankets.
- her basking temps are 100-105 and the cool side is 75. I bought a uvb/basking bulb for her when I bought her. It sits on her screen top.
I'm really worried about her and am trying my best but I feel like each change for the better is stressing her out, especially for her being on her meds now. Any replies would be much appreciated. The vet said she seems very healthy, but I love her so much that I'd like other opinions as well. Thanks!

jfiala

Original Poster
Here is her photo of her driving to the vet with my girlfriend, she is inside a box filled with hand warmers, towels, and with a new car on full heat blast (me and my girlfriend were both feeling like we were in a heat box lol but it is wisconsin)
89951-4583471092.jpg
Here is a picture of her the night before the vet visit after she had taken her bath
89951-8267215523.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She is very pretty & quite young, too!
How high of coccidia levels did she have? Which medication is she on, for 18 days?
What is the dose you are giving & the strength of the solution? I can double check the dose if you need.
Many times, the harsh meds will destroy their appetites. You can try getting some probiotics such as non dairy soy yogurt or non dairy acidophiliz to give to her while she is on meds. Keep her well hydrated also, since they tend to be hard on the kidneys, too.

Tracie

jfiala

Original Poster
Drache613":iipmxj50 said:
Hello,

She is very pretty & quite young, too!
How high of coccidia levels did she have? Which medication is she on, for 18 days?
What is the dose you are giving & the strength of the solution? I can double check the dose if you need.
Many times, the harsh meds will destroy their appetites. You can try getting some probiotics such as non dairy soy yogurt or non dairy acidophiliz to give to her while she is on meds. Keep her well hydrated also, since they tend to be hard on the kidneys, too.

Tracie
I'll check the dosage on the medication later today. I'll pick some soy yogert today as well. I believe when I was gone yesterday that she munched on some of her greens(some bok choy leaves and kale). This morning I gave her some Gerbed #2 chicken and veggy baby food and she licked a tiny bit(off a different syringe from her meds. I'll read the medication again and the paperwork, it seems vague. All I know is that it looks like a .5 ml dosage on the syringe and it was initially prescribed for 21 days.
Thanks for your response! And she is mine and my girlfriends baby lol(people joke about how we take better care/attention to her than most people do with their human babies)

jfiala

Original Poster
So, after reading the label and talking to my vet over the phone it is a sulfa/trimeth liquid solution of48mg/ml. He said he uses this solution with great results for coccidia treatment in reptiles. He also stated that new research suggests to go with the reptile specific probiotics rather than soy yogurt but it wouldn't hurt . He suggested based on her weight(74 grams at 11 3/4") to give her a 6ml to 10 ml chicken/veggy mix(I lucked out and already bought it yesterday) of gerber baby food if she doesn't eat. I also put her lamp inside the terrarium by lifting the half of the screen up and she seems a little more attentive now, even licking her lips and opening her mouth every now and again. The amount of meds is .05cc per day, and he also stated that Itd be good to keep her around the 95 to 100 degree range and try not to keep it above 105

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there ! She sure is photogenic. :) I wanted to ask if your vet has ever heard of using Baycox ? Some owners here have had good results with it rather than the sulfa, and 21 days is a long time to be on a med. that can make her feel sick. Some drgons can get pretty weak on that harsh drug whereas the Baycox [ aka Toltrazuril ] which usually works in 2-3 days.

Just a suggestion and it can be purchased here.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwitl-zw1a3RAhVKeyYKHSzfB5oQFgg8MAY&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.beardeddragon.co%2Findex.php%3Froute%3Dproduct%2Fproduct%26product_id%3D478&usg=AFQjCNFOOnNBa87RoKeNJUlLPFevthgdag&sig2=h3bZLM1MHDar8AiTYeFmHw

jfiala

Original Poster
AHBD said:
Hi there ! She sure is photogenic. :) I wanted to ask if your vet has ever heard of using Baycox ? Some owners here have had good results with it rather than the sulfa, and 21 days is a long time to be on a med. that can make her feel sick. Some drgons can get pretty weak on that harsh drug whereas the Baycox [ aka Toltrazuril ] which usually works in 2-3 days.

Just a suggestion and it can be purchased here.

Thanks AHBD, if she needs a second dose then I will definitely ask my vet about proceeding with Baycox instead. I wish I would've asked him this earlier.
As for an update, Toothy seems to be getting better for multiple different aspects of her care during this treatment I have changed. I still give her the meds as recomended in the morning. However, I have started to use(instead of baby food) the Flukers Repta boost, as well as giving her some water through a syringe as well. She is acting a lot more like herself now that she is getting her nutrience back, and she even chased down a dubia right in front of me. I've also gotten much smaller dubias, the size she would've eaten as a baby, and though I cant confirm she has eaten any more, I feel like she looks at her salad a bit more as well.
As for temperatures I noticed that they weren't the best during the day time, on the coldest day only reaching 88 degrees, and without her red night light it seemed her night temps were 68 degrees. I fixed this by getting her a ceramic heat bulb also paired with a zilla thermostat, and she is now getting a consistant 103-105 daytime temperature, as well as an 80-82 degree night time temperature.
Lastly, me and my girlfriend have been handling her a lot more to just comfort her and make her know that we don't just force feed her meds when we hold her. I feel like we held her much less because we didn't want to stress her out during her treatment time, but know we understand that it should be the other way around.
I believe all of this has made her a lot more attentive and she seems to be on an upwards health route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom