Dragon has pneumonia. Question about meds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaRidley99

So, a few days ago I brought my bearded dragon Rosy to the vets for respiratory symptoms. Found out he has pneumonia, so the vet prescribed baytril. She also prescribed itraconazole just in case it was fungal. I'm just worried about this combination because I know both drugs can be pretty harsh. I just want someone's insight in this if it is safe or not. Thank you! :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Did your vet do testing to confirm a fungal infection? I would be hesitant to offer extra medication if it isn't necessary because as you mentioned it can be harsh on their systems. Perhaps offer the Baytril first and if symptoms don't improve, offer the Itraconazole. I'm not a vet though and that's just my thought. I've offered Baytril and Voriconazole (similar) together before and didn't notice any negative interactions.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a hard call. Pneumonia is commonly coupled with fungus & aspergillus bacteria so that is likely why the vet prescribed both.
How bad is the pneumonia? I agree, maybe try Baytril for a week & if there isn't any improvement you could start Itraconazole thereafter. How long of time are they both prescribed for?
I would give some probiotics along with them, to be sure the system stays in check, too.
You could also consider nebulization treatments for pneumonia, as well.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom