Fungus?? Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LimbotheDragon

Hello,

So I recently got this baby beardie about two months ago. He is happy, eating fine and running around per usual. However, when I first got him I noticed a small yellow spot under his neck. It has since gotten bigger and did not come off with his most recent shedding.

88902-6861428539.jpg
88902-920855562.jpg
88902-5839690412.jpg

I've tried bathing him but it does not come off. Everything I've read online makes me worry it is yellow fungus and chunks of him will just start falling off. :(

Please, any advice, comments... ANYTHING would help if you know what this might be.

Thanks!

Gail

BD.org Addict
That does look like yellow fungus. I really would suggest a vet, he is so young, he needs treatment right away.

OTC treatments can only help so much and that's on the verge of being a bad case.

You can try lotrimin for now, might help keep it from spreading more.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor little guy, I agree it looks like Y.F. Don't bathe him anymore, that will spread it. Along with the antifungal cream Gail mentioned, get some Betadine, [ both can be found at most drug stores ] water it down until it looks like iced tea and dab it on there with a Q-tip. After it dries you can apply the Lotrimin cream full strength. To keep baby hydrated, offer a bit of water with an eyedropper or syringe directly on his snout. Or put a very shallow dish [ like a lid from a jar or cool whip container ] and put it in front of him + drip the water on it....that can attract him to have a drink. Afterwards take the little dish out.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
LimbotheDragon":1qu6e3a9 said:
Is it worth the vet trip? Or should I try the home remedies first?
In a lot of situations a vet trip is going to be better than home remedies. Fussing about with home remedies can be a waste of time (that could be spent on sooner treatment) and money.

LimbotheDragon

Original Poster
Thank you so much for all the advice! I have a family friend vet who will be taking a look at him today. Is he still ok to hold? Is it dangerous to humans at all?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's O.K to hold him, but wash hands very well after. If you or a family member has a compromised immune system then it could be dangerous to have a sick animal, period, or if you have any cuts on your hands.

A vet that is experienced with reptiles can maybe help, one who is not may do more damage than good and cost the baby his life , not to mention waste your money. One thing an inexperienced vet does that is a dead give away is prescribe antibiotics for a fungal infection.....that does not help. It kills off the good bacteria and actually allows the Y.F. to spread even more. The most recommended treatment is voriconazole....an oral med. that can be harsh on young dragons but is reported to be helpful. Y.F. is extremely difficult to get rid of, it sometimes goes away then comes back, having lain dormant inside. Hopefully your baby can be treated and live a while longer but sad to say the prognosis may not be good. Hopefully it won't be too bad though....I wish you all the best !

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Scribble, it would be helpful to start your own thread and include pics in this section or in the E.R. Here's how to post pics:
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use XIMG to attach pics

Any info on his diet, set up, etc and pics of him and his tank will be helpful. Hopefully your baby doesn't have Y.F.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom