I need to know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BibiWV

Princess Marigold died yesterday. She was almost 2. Up until yesterday, she had a few problems: coccidia, bad appetite, slow to grow. I had her to the vets about a year ago for what I thought was mouth rot -- it wasn't, I forget what it was. And I've had her there for 2 regular checkups: fecal test, etc. The vet's only comment was that I need to fatten her up. She weighed about 125 grams and was about 15 inches (including her tail). Although she had those issues, she was mostly healthy and happy. I had her in a 75 gallon tank, strip UVB light, UVA bulb, and a ceramic bulb heater. I kept papertowels on the floor of the tank, and kept it pristine, cleaning up her poo anytime I saw it. I soaked her regularly. I thought I was following all the rules! But last Thursday night, I noticed she was gaping a lot, and sometimes making a funny raspy croaking noise. I called the vet the next morning, and arranged to pick up antibiotics on my way home from work, thinking it was a respiratory infection. When I got home, she was just lying limply in her tank. I got her out, and I honestly thought she was dead. I gave her the antibiotics orally in a syringe, and then dropped water on her and around her mouth. She gradually started coming around. By that time, I had arranged to get her to the emergency vet an hour and a half away! The vet gave her a different antibiotic and some liquids. He said she seemed fine other than the possible infection. By the time I got her home, she was her sassy little self, and she remained so through the weekend and until yesterday (Wednesday) morning. I had her out for a bit before I got ready for work, then put her in her tank with some hornworms and phoenix worms. I went to get ready for work, and an hour later, I went to check on her and remove whatever she didn't eat. Once again, she was lying on the floor of the tank looking dead. I got her out again, thinking, oh no, another trip to the vet.... I tried dropping water on her snout, etc but nothing. nothing at all. I let her lie on my lap for almost an hour, trying to distinguish whether I saw her breath or not. By then she was getting stiff. I was beside myself!
I went to work despite feeling horrible. When I got home, I buried her in the back yard, and cleaned up all her things so I wouldn't have to look at them. I miss her terribly.
Now I'm thinking of getting another one, but I'm so scared this is going to happen again. She was purchased from PetSmart as a gift to me for my birthday. I won't buy another one there; I'm looking at breeders. But does anyone have a clue about what might have happened? I had read about the adenovirus and now I'm wondering if that could've been the root of her problems. She had never been tested for it..... Any ideas, oh beardie lovers?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear you lost your buddy =(. I know how hard that is to deal with and the feeling of needing to pack everything away out of sight. It sounds like she had an underlying issue that wasn't diagnosed. ADV is a possibility. It may have also been a tumor of some sort. It's tough to say without more information. It's not likely caused by anything on your part though.

If you'd like to post information about your setup I'll be glad to review it to ensure it's all good stuff and ready to go for a new dragon if you wish to adopt another one down the road. Photos and information about lighting, substrate, dimensions, diet, supplements etc. are helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LittleSofa
Top Bottom