Retained shed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My little guy is in the process of shedding. He did his arms, legs, and feet and is in the process of shedding his head. The tail isn't ready and the body and chest don't even look pale or anything, so I guess that will come later? Can it happens days or even weeks apart from the rest of the body?

Anyway, a couple of days ago I noticed this one spot on his beard. I was hoping it would come off with the beard as it shed, but now that he has shed that part, the gray is still there. It doesn't look black and doesn't feel soft or, at least to me, look like rot. It actually looks gray and shiny--almost like mother of pearl. Is that retained shed? If so, how can I help it come off? He's still getting used to baths, so he doesn't enjoy soaking. He always tries to escape during baths. I heard other people use coconut oil but I want to make sure it's safe before I try it. Thanks.

86153-7148755546.jpg

86153-3431760194.jpg

86153-1558297132.jpg

86153-649016840.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....well, you have really good eyes and know you're bearde, lol. ! That tiny spot is absolutely harmless so don't be worried a bit. Sometimes a scale will not shed, sometimes it becomes discolored for other reasons. We humans develop freckles, blotches , etc, you'll be hard pressed to find any group of people who don't have a blemish somewhere, you know ? As for uneven sheds, here's pic of one of my girls that had an uneven shed, I post it here regularly to ease people's minds who are worried about how a beardie sheds. This is normal :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29897/full

But don't worry one bit about that little spot, no oil needed. Keep in mind that some oil can cause discomfort as the beardie basks at high temps.

Jennifer0148

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply. He's so light colored that I notice everything and worry. I was feeling better about that scale and then this appeared. Literally just today over a few hours. That area is freshly shed. Again, the scales look ok but it looks like someone drew on them with black colored pencil. What IS that?? Scale damage or rot? More "freckles"? Normal color change--but why black?

86153-896747462.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sometimes it's from rubbing their chin on tank decor, sometimes it's discolored scales. Neither are harmful.

Jennifer0148

Original Poster
Really?? Thanks. He does rub himself everywhere. Maybe it's more delicate because it was freshly shed? I have also been giving him meds for parasites and I have to open his mouth so maybe that has contributed. I knew it didn't quite look like the fungus pictures I've seen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom