Cleaning homemade enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

LLBlue

I recently lost my bearded dragon. She had gout, but I never had her tested for adenovirus. I have a homemade enclosure. The bottom is melamine, but the sides are wood.
I've gone through some threads about sanitizing aquariums for adenovirus that suggest bleaching them and resealing them to kill any virus in porous surfaces. Does this mean that wood, being a porous surface, can't be sanitized and reused for another bearded dragon?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You could probably sanitize everything with a small steam cleaner. Steam is pretty good at killing off most things and is my go to along with F10SC disinfectant.

I would rather not use bleach. I have had my fair share of problems with it. I would use a solution of 1 part water to 1 part vinegar. It is really effective at killing bacteria and sterilizing the surfaces while being non-toxic. you can use it on all of the surfaces, just make sure it's dried before you put another beardie in. You can also use a steam cleaner in combination for deep cleaning. Good luck on your next beardie!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom