Help! Albon and Panacur for Parasites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I went to the vet and it turns out my beardie has parasites. The doctor didn't tell me the count but prescribed an Albon suspension 50mg/ml for 14 days at 0.1ml per day. The Panacur suspension is 100mg/ml and it is to be given for 5 days at 0.05ml per day and then repeat that after 2 weeks. My beardie weighs 113 grams.

I asked about Albon making them sick in the process and he didn't seem to like the question. He retorted with "Antibiotics can make anyone sick. Haven't you ever taken one? I've never had issues with it, but you could be the first, so make sure to call." He did not suggest any probiotics or any method of disinfecting the terrarium he's in, even after I called to ask about that specifically. He said he saw no need for a probiotic right now and that I could keep doing what I was doing to keep his enclosure clean.

I didn't like the way he got the fecal sample from him, either. I think he took a q-tip to his vent. It was so quick. One second he said he'd try to get one and the next there was a q-tip in his hand and my beardie was pooping. Should I worry about that?

Anyway, I heard Ponazuril is more effective and takes fewer doses. The doctor didn't suggest it and I didn't know about it until I researched what he gave me after the appointment. I'd be scared to ask him about it anyway because he doesn't like being "questioned," it seems. He's a reptile vet and has 20+ years experience and everything, so I trusted he would do what's best.

Now I'm wondering whether I should see another vet. I'm worried sick about starting the medications because I'm scared he'll get sick. He's perfectly fine now. Eats roaches and veggies well. Runs. Climbs. Etc. I saw no symptoms. The only reason I went to the vet was for a yearly exam since I just got him.

What should I do? Is Ponazuril that much better and less harsh?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....it's never a good idea to deal with medical issues with someone you don't trust. Just my opinion.....if you're really not comfortable with this vet, look for another. And yes, thread after thread here show that Ponazuril or toltrazuril [ Baycox ] can often get the job done in 2-3 doses and is much less harsh then Albon.

Having said that, your beardie may do just fine on Albon or he may be one of the ones who loses his appetite and loses weight. Since your dragon is acting fine + healthy, give yourself time to think about this and maybe see if there is another vet that would prescribe the other meds. It would have been nice if he would have given you the count....I guess you don't feel like asking him about that, but he should be explaining these things to you.

Jennifer0148

Original Poster
Thanks. He's just the type to not like questions. He gets easily frustrated if you chime in with, "I understand that, but...". With 20+ years experience, I think he expects his customers to defer to him 100%. I can guarantee that if I had asked another question, he would have gotten angry. I know this because he's the one who made sure I knew he had 20+ years experience when I questioned him about Albon. None of this sits well with me. I don't want my little guy going from perfectly fine to a lethargic bag of bones just because I didn't have the gall to ask more questions but I really don't think I can go back to this vet and openly ask about Albon and Ponazuril again. He'll just treat me like one of those ignorant "know it alls." He seemed like the most qualified one but now I'll have to search more, I guess. I'm so terrified.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Don't be terrified, no reason to be so at all. Of course it's stressful to deal with a vet that doesn't communicate + makes you nervous. BUT....your dragon , as many dragons, is healthy + handling a probable low amount of parasites with no obvious trouble and will be fine until you figure out what to do. Don't stress too much....this is very common. If you end up going with the Albon, offer a probiotic like soy yogurt and just watch how he does. If he stops eating you can stop the meds. and then you'll know.

By the way, is this vet certified with the ARAV [ association of reptile and amphibian veterinarians ] or have any visible credentials if you Google his name, experience and reviews ?

Jennifer0148

Original Poster
Yes, he is very well qualified. He has great reviews and a long list of accolades and contributions. I think he was even a consultant for animal planet and the like. I think he's knowledgeable. The problem is he's not willing to be "questioned" precisely because of his experience.

I don't feel comfortable giving my guy Albon with all that I've read about it, though. But I am also scared of making the wrong decision and of it getting worse while I figure out what to do. It's just that Ponazuril to me seems better because the animals apparently don't lose their appetites or lose weight or vomit. I find it a little disingenuous that he claims he's never seen trouble with Albon. Never? In twenty years? I doubt that. Even if Albon isn't as terrible as it seems, to say he has never had trouble with it makes me think that it matters more to him to be right than to be honest. No drug is perfect and with a record like that of Albon, much less so for him to be claiming that.

Is there anyone I can PM about these medications or any recommendation for vets in Southern California?

Jennifer0148

Original Poster
Thank you so much! It's so hard to find a vet I am willing to go to. I just need one who will listen and who is up to date on medications for coccidia. I don't like vets or doctors who stubbornly give prescriptions based on what the traditional approach is even if it presents a lot of issues instead continuing their learning and knowing about new, less harsh methods. From what I understand Ponazuril dosed properly isn't harmful so why not try that first and then Albon if that doesn't work? Right?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry you had such a bad experience with a vet. So many of them refuse to be questioned which really is unreasonable. I hope he didn't hurt him though trying to get a sample from him.
The Ponazuril is very safe & is a specific anti-coccidial agent so you only need 1-3 doses & it usually knocks it out.
The Panacur should be fine, it is usually very mild for them. The dose of .05ml is correct for his weight, he dosed him at 50mg/kg right now.
Most on here do tend to use some type of probiotic because it really does seem to help settle any tummy issues.

Tracie

Jennifer0148

Original Poster
Thank you both for the help. It has helped tremendously. I've decided to have another fecal done at my regular vet, whom I trust, to get a better idea of how bad the count is and which ones he actually has. Then, I'm going to go with Panozuril. I just don't understand why any vet still suggests a coccidiostatic drug over a coccidiocidic one, especially with how harsh Albon apparently is. I should have told that vet to get over himself and catch up with new treatments. I feel hopeful now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom