Slips coccidia and pinworm treatment???

Status
Not open for further replies.

BG23

Hatchling Member
Hello beardie family! I'm posting in regards to sliptornavich and the process of these parasites that we are trying to get rid of. So it's been about 3 weeks I did the whole dose every other day for 2 weeks and now we are almost ready to repeat with the albon for another 2 weeks. What I am concerned about is that slip's energy level is poor it seems like she doesn't want to move she has good posture when she's basking and all but does not explore or walk around much. Her fecals have been a lot better before meds they were always runny and always smelled horrible but now they have decent form and hardly smell at all. Am I worrying to much? Is this just the meds effecting her?
85583-3206317537.jpg
Just seems like it's been forever and we still have another 2 weeks ahead of meds. Slips appetite has not decreased at all throughout and she is her normal slightly overweight self actually gained a little weight, main thing is like I said earlier she's just really lazy thanks and inform me on how your beardies handled it this is our first time dealing with this.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi BG....Albon is a pretty harsh med. and wipes out the good gut flora [ bacteria ] along with the bad. Many owners are using Baycox for coccidia, it usually knocks it out in 2-3 doses. I would personally lay off the Albon, it will cause a weaker immune system if given over a long period of time. Slip is big + healthy enough to tolerate a low level of parasites if you want to give her a break from the Albon. Then after about 2-3 weeks start her on Baycox. Ask your vet about Baycox, I'm not sure why all of the vets aren't using it rather than the harsher Albon which takes weeks to work.

Also, do you have her on a probiotic ? That will help restore the good bacteria to her gut that the meds. are destroying. Soy yogurt or Acidophiliz+ are good probiotics.

She should be O.K though, still having a good appetite + not losing weight.

BG23

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks I'm gonna do what you recommend because from what I've read the past few days baycox is the way to go and yes I have her on strawberry and blueberry soy yogurt she loves it and started her 2 weeks before the meds on that, it's not hard getting her to try new things she will eat anything haha but no she eats and everything else in life for her is normal besides energy and I can tell the difference. Your right she is a big girl and I have to keep am eye on her diet she is at 538 g but when she is active usually she stays around 490 500 but that u for your advice I will ask her vet about the baycox.

BG23

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
After what seems like a year Slip has completed treatment for parasites I followed the vets orders with panacur and albon even tho I was gonna switch after the first few doses. My girl showed zero signs of being stressed or disturbed with the meds so I changed nothing we will wait a week and take another stool sample to our vet and see what happens wish us luck but I think everything went well, she is still kinda lazy which worries me a little bit but I think it's more of me spoiling her than anything.
85583-3256346886.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She's beautiful ! :) Glad to hear that she got through the meds. easily. I wouldn't dose her again even if she has some parasites left. It can actually cause harm if they're treated too often. Another suggestion for you is to cut back on the insects, she is becoming quite chubby, actually heading toward downright fat and that's a health problem for beardies. A dragon is better off being on the lean side, being overweight can cause a lot of problems, it actually can cause egg binding for some dragons because the fat gets around all the organs and makes it difficult to pass the eggs through. There's also possible heart, liver kidney + joint problems.

So keep your pretty girl healthy + she'll be around longer for you to enjoy. :) I know she's the apple of your eye. :)

BG23

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I appreciate it but she's fine, I took the picture because of how she was laying made her look huge and she is mostly on a salad and veddies diet with some hornworms and cockroaches occasionally. I def monitor her closely and make sure I do a lot of research to find answers I'm looking for. This site has helped me a lot and I'm fortunate for everyone's advice.
85583-2728620358.jpg
she got to go outside for about 3 minutes today and it's the first time her tail has ever shot straight up into the air.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Tail straight in the air, lol....on high alert no doubt. :) Did she get frightened or seem to enjoy it ? Most of mine love to be outside and they usually munch on the grass + clovers [ mostly clover leaf , more so than the actual little white flower ]

BG23

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She defiantly liked it, at first she didn't take her eye off me and I think it was more of a 'is it safe for me out here' thing but after a couple of minutes I sat down next to her and she got a lot more curious and roamed around for a few minutes. It was very cool and I could tell she loved the natural sun light.

BG23

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
85583-5476730107.jpg
this pic about sums it up on how she felt about real sunlight for a change...

BG23

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Update on Slip and this sucks but I don't think the first treatment worked ? I got her another apt with her vet tomorrow this time I'm gonna get xrays and a blood test but so far her stools turned back to runny and very stinky so I know that this isn't good, she seemed like she was gonna pull through after the first dosing her stool was formed well and barely smelled at all is that normal? For it to clear up and then come back all of the sudden is there anything I can do different? I followed the doses to the tea and cleaned her stools the minute she went every time I had her on bena bac and made sure she was hydrated well with baths. I cleaned her enclosure vigorously and baked the driftwood after each dropping. Any advice would be greatly appreciated on how I can get rid of this my poor girl has hardly any energy and I want her back to normal I'm losing sleep over this she is my best friend...thanks guys

BG23

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Just an update on our recent vet visit, doc thinks she may have ammonia in her lungs not very progressed so hopefully we caught it in time she's back on antibiotics after 2 and a half weeks off of them so if you could please keep Sliptornavich in hopes of getting better we greatly appreciate it. I don't know what I would do if something bad we're to happen to her.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor Slip. Did the vet re-test her poop? What makes the vet think there is ammonia in her lungs? I'd offer her plenty of water. Those meds can be pretty rough on her system, especially over an extended time.

BG23

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He saw that the exray of her lungs was not clear so he thinks it might be pnammonia but when the blood work gets back he will know for sure. I feel so bad for her I just want her to feel better it's been months and yes I make sure she's hydrated and fed healthy I do whatever it takes but it's just rough on both of us I'll keep you updated, thanks.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
So now she may have pneumonia ? Poor girl....can you hear her breath rattling if you hold her to your ear ? Does she make any coughing or hiccup type sounds ? Those would indicate a respiratory infection.
If not, she may just be worn out from the meds., but if she does have pneumonia it may be that she aspirated [ breathed in to her lungs ] some of the meds. she was on wen given orally.

Hopefully she'll be O.K.

BG23

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I can't hear anything when I hold her up to my ear but she does make a clicking noise sometimes when I pet her back or head. She's a tough girl I know that and I can see her trying to explore and move around because she's always curious and wanting to go where I go but she just doesn't have the energy so the doc gave me Baytri for 21 days and Ponazuril for 3 doses every 48 hours I've had her on been bac plus for a couple months now but I'm just worried about her I can't sleep idk what else I can do for her and the last few days she hasn't been eating like she normally does and only eats when I hand feed her. Need help ASAP if there is anyone you know that could give me advice I would greatly appreciate it I don't want to keep giving her these antibiotics this is the 3rd round of different meds I'm really nervous I get her blood work back in a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom