Cage cleaning after mites + pinworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

repp0

Hi all,

I posted a while back about a very sick/ neglected bearded dragon that I was trying to rehab. He had both mites and pinworms.

The good news is David is in foster care with someone who has a ton more reptile experience than I do and perfect husbandry and he is doing very well, she hasn't seen any mites, he'll start panacur again when he's strong enough and his bloodwork came back all good :blob5:

So now I am attempting to give his viv, tiles, and accessories an extremely thorough cleaning in preparation for him to come home in (I hope) a month or two when he has gained weight and is stronger to make sure I don't reintroduce pinworms or mites. I figure I already have a leg up becuase it will have been a couple of months with no host and low humidity in his tank. These are the steps I'm taking:

1) Soak all his tiles and mesh aquarium top in hot water, then wipe them down with diluted this and let them dry thoroughly: http://www.beardeddragon.co/index.php?route=product/product&path=73&product_id=249

2) Boil his bowl and basking rocks for 20 minutes each

3) Soak his hammock in the pink dillution

4) As far as the actual aquarium goes, I'm planning on vacuuming the entire thing, then wetting it down thoroughly with the pink stuff and drying the crevices with a blow dryer and just letting it sit empty for the next month or two.

Does this seem sufficient? I will resort to pesticides and harsh chemicals if I have to...

syoung27

Hatchling Member
Sounds reasonable. You can also use water & vinegar to clean the enclosure itself to help disinfecting.
Of course make sure everything is thoroughly rinsed after your cleaning.
Since it will be sitting for a while you should probably give everything another quick hot rinse and vacuum for dust shortly before he returns.
There are more knowledgeable folks here so hopefully they'll give input soon as well.
I think some people use ammonia for cleaning up after parasites. I don't know the specifics of that though.
Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom