Adenovirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cbarr1287

My poor little guy was seeing a vet for lack of appetite and blood at the end of his stool. After a couple weeks of many soaks and critical care the blood has gone away and appetite is back to about 80% but after some lab tests he tested positive for adenovirus:( until his test I knew nothing of this virus but have been reading up on it. Some good stories but many bad.
Just looking for input on what I can do for him to help him live as long as possible and give him the best life possible
Any input greatly appreciated!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry your dragon has adeno. It isn't always a death sentence, but often causes a multitude of issues.
Is he eating pretty well right now & maintaining his weight?
Are you continuing the critical care right now until he is completely back to normal?
The best thing is to keep his immune system built up to where he can fight secondary infections all of the time.
What supplementation are you giving to him? Which UVB light are you using?

Tracie

Cbarr1287

Original Poster
Since he is eating well I took the critical care dosage down to 1.5 ml daily from 3ml daily. To stating between herbavore and carnivore.
As far as supplements. He's on a two week antibiotic of baytril currently. Other than that just his calcium dusted crickets. Is there anything else he should be getting to help boost the immune system? Any input is well appreciated.
As far as uvb. I have a reptisun 10.0 18 inches in a 40g breeder tank.
He was getting really thin when he first got sick but the past month he's very noticeably gained back his weight. He's not fat like most adult beardies look but I guess that's because of the virus. He's about 1year 3 month old

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Just wondered how your boy was doing?
I hope he is gaining some weight & eating well. You could try some bee pollen to help boost the immune system, too. Are you giving anything for his liver function?
That's great you are using the Reptisun 10 tube bulb, also, that will be plenty of UVB exposure for him, if it is at a 6-8 inch distance from him.
Are you still giving the critical care right now? I hope he is all done with the antibiotics, also.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Cbarr1287

Original Poster
He did gain some weight his vet visit while sick was 516 grams. The last time I weighed him was 528. The vet said he wants him to get close to 550.
I am still giving critical care. Just doing 1.5 ml a day since he is eating on his own. But critical to help weight up to where the vet wants it.
He is done with his antibiotics. Not taking anything for liver function like you mentioned. Is there something he should be taking? And you mentioned bee pollen. How do I give him that? As like a dusting? Or in liquid form?

I'm curious about the bee pollen as well. I have dry bee pollen that I bought from some bee keepers to add to my own food occasionally, but I'm unsure how to get my beardie to ingest it. I am also interested in what can be done for liver support. My baby has adeno as well.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
What is the baytril specifically treating?

Milk Thistle helps with liver support.

Did the vet run a full blood panel and did he have parasites?

Deg2315

How do people cope and care for their babies with adenovirus? I'm awaiting my boy's results, I should have them on monday. I'm so scared, he seems to have one problem after another at the minute.

Cbarr1287

Original Poster
The baytril was because of him bleeding when he was pooping.
Where does one get milk thistle from?
And yes he had blood panel done. That's where they came up with adenovirus. No parasites though.

While dealing with issues it can be a major stress. For now my guy is doing well. For now. Just waiting for another issue but being hopeful is the best you can do.
So far I've been told hydration and nutrition is very important.

Deg2315

Is he really sleepy? Mine tends to sleep a fair amount of the day away along with getting his 12 hours on a night.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
Milk thistle can be bought at the health food store. I would wait to see what shows up on the blood panel as far as the liver readings. His liver may be fine right now. Please discuss all supplements and dosages used with your vet.

keith167

Hatchling Member
I just ordered the Bee Pollen from tracie as well. Not sure how it administers but I guess I will soon see, lol.
Also, my research definitely suggests that a VERY high percentage of dragons in this country, most unknowingly, have atadenovirus. Lots live happy, healthy lives (asymptomatic).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom