Increasing Appetite During Y.F. Treatment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushu15

My poor Mushu started showing signs of yellow fungus almost 3-4 weeks ago all over his face, beard and one shoulder. After a day of freaking out we finally got to the vet and got started of cefa-drops and voriconazole. I decided to start treatment and not do a biopsy because of the cost and the high likelihood of it coming back inconclusive. 2 weeks ago Mushu's appetite has dropped to almost nothing.He wants nothing to do with his super worms now, and will only eat his greens if they are offered to him by hand. Luckily I can bring hornworms home from Carolina Designer Dragons and he still gets pretty excited about those.

After many discussions with Lynn (CDD owner) and another friend I've decided to start feeding Mushu critical care in baby food along with pedialyte. I've also bought benebac to add to the baby food as well, that should be here Tuesday. Is there anything else I can do to increase his appetite? I don't want him to lose anymore weight than he did in the first two weeks.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The Voriconizole can be rough on their systems. I advise using the bene-bac as you mentioned. After a week or two on that, it should help his appetite return. I've seen Voriconizole be successful in treating YF so hopefully you will have a good outcome as well!

Mushu15

Original Poster
I hope it does! Over the past week most of his yellow spots have gotten darker (His vet said it looks like they are drying out, YAY!) and last night a couple started to look like they were about to shed. Definitely lifts my spirits.

How much of the probiotics should I be adding, and how often should he be taking them?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It depends on the probiotic. Bene-bac is 1g (notch) every third day. Acidophiliz+ is daily. I've offered more frequently than that. It shouldn't be harmful to offer a bit more - it would be like eating too much yogurt.

Mushu15

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2nip147l said:
It depends on the probiotic. Bene-bac is 1g (notch) every third day.

Holy cow, a gram? Is that of the gel? I got the powder because I knew I could mix it with baby food and he might take it a little easier.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah that's the gel. I think 1 notch is a gram. That's from memory though. I can check the dosage when I get home. I'm not sure what the dosage of the powder is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom