PLEASE HELP!!! Pinworms and Coccidiosis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey again I am new to the website but I have a few concerns with Zeus.
He is a 6month old and I have had him for a little over a month. He's currently on panacur and albon for pinworms and coccidiosis it will be four weeks on Friday. He was eating supers twice a day until around Sunday he stopped eating them, currently only earring a very little amount of greens but no supers or dubais. He also finished shedding Sunday but I feel that has nothing to do with his lack of appetite. I started soy blueberry yogurt on Monday because I heard it helps gain the good bacteria? But was just concerned. I was giving him wax worms for a little bit, he wasn't eating them all by himself I had to put it on the inside his lip then he would eat them but nothing else. He is my first beardie so I'm not that experienced but have read spot so would just love some info on what could be going on exactly thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Albon is known to be pretty rough on their systems. His stomach is probably upset which is why he isn't eating. The soy yogurt is a good idea. I'd keep offering that. If you can pick up some Acidophiliz+ that would be good to offer (in replacement of the yogurt) to provide beneficial bacteria along with some vitamins that will help him feel better. Hopefully the Albon knocks out the parasites and he'll bounce back quickly after treatment. Do be sure to sanitize everything he comes in contact with very well. I'd use F10SC or a steam cleaner to sanitize all surfaces on a frequent basis for now. To kill coccidia you'll need the steam cleaner or an ammonia/water mixture. I'm not sure that F10SC tackles coccidia but it's quite effective against other nasties.

Taylorkay3

Original Poster
Okay thank you very much I have been cleaning his tank with a little vinegar and water. Would bleach and water work? Or where would I find the cleaner. So the non eating should be nothing to worry about? Just makes me nervous the vet dos not tell me his weight which I forgot to ask with all the med instructions I'm going back Tuesday and Friday is the last day for his treatment. I just don't want him to loose weight or not start back eating after the antibiotics.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Vinegar is good for loosening stuck on bits and I use it for spot cleaning. It's slightly acidic but it's not sufficient for thorough sanitization. A bleach/water mix will get most things but not coccidia and it's pretty harsh so it needs to be rinsed very well. I'd pick up a small steam cleaner or some F10SC. You'll need to use ammonia to kill coccidia though. F10 is very concentrated so a small bottle lasts quite a long time. http://www.amazon.com/F10-F10SC-Veterinary-Disinfectant/dp/B00DR25TSG
The steam cleaner I use is a 1000w Shark that I got at Big Lots for about $45. It's similar to this http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...hot-Hard-Surface-Cleaner/4411846/product.html Target and Walmart probably carry something similar as well. Thorough sanitization is quite important in order to prevent re-infection after treatment.

It's worth tracking his weight on a regular basis too. I have a small kitchen scale (from Target) that I put a shoebox top on that my dragon fits into. I track weight daily and keep a chart to watch for weight trends.

You can pick up Acidophiliz+ here http://www.bug-de-lite.com/Products Page.html

Taylorkay3

Original Poster
Thank you so much helps a lot, and I actually just found my pocket scale I weighted him and he's 98g is that okay for a 6 month old who's not eating right

Taylorkay3

Original Poster
And also I had another question I was giving him his medicine today and I saw a brown line on his gums underneath his teeth today and I'm worried it could be rot? I tried to swab the inside to see if it was just food and nothing came off
86053-3577987966.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How long is he head to tail? They all have slightly different body types so it's best to measure their weight against themselves and just watch for trends. Steady or increasing weight is good while steadily decreasing weight can indicate a problem. I keep a google doc chart with the daily readings of my dragon and it gives me a trendline after a while which is what I watch more than the actual weight. It looks like this:

76248-8708369918.jpg

Lots of daily fluctuations but the trend is upward which is good.

Taylorkay3

Original Poster
He is a little under 13 inches. He was eating up to 10 supers a day with his greens and now just nothing so I hope he doesn't loose to much!

Taylorkay3

Original Poster
I'm pretty sure everything is correct in his tank the tube is a reptisun 10.0 and the domes on both sides are basking lamps the one on the right is his basking area and the left is just a warm are and the double dome just has a uvb reptisun 10.0 bulb as well and other side is not hooked up. So I hope that is a proper set uP.
86053-8469031504.jpg

and this is him with his beard out. Doesn't look skinny or unhealthy so I think I'm worrying to much but just so scary being a real first time owner I had one before this little guy from pet smart and he didn't last a month treated him for MBD but went away and boarded him and found out he died of extreme parasites. So I don't have much experience and having that happen I just worry about him way to much.
86053-2699982804.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks pretty alert and looks like a nice healthy size to me so that's good. The worry is part of caring for these guys. It doesn't go away but you'll get more confident as you go. It's tough to care for a little guy who can't speak or easily indicate his thoughts but you'll start to get a hang of his body language which helps.

As far as the lighting does, it looks maybe a bit over complicated. What are the dimensions of your tank?

I'd put the ReptiSun tube 6'' above the highest basking area and put a basking light right next to it so there is higher UVB levels and heat over the basking area and I'd leave the other side cooler with lower UVB levels. The screen will intercept some of the UVB light but depending on the height of the tank you may not have a lot of space to work with under the screen. If you have about 12'' from the top of the tank to the highest basking area, I'd switch to a higher output T5 tube. For temps, you'll want about 100-105 in the basking area with some areas around that in the 90s and a gradient down to about 75-80 or so on the cool side. These gradients of heat and UVB will allow him to move around and self regulate so he gets what he needs.

Taylorkay3

Original Poster
The tank is 12x18x36 its only 12 inches tall to begin with and okay you think my 18" tube should be near the basking area? My basking area is only 5" away from the top, I moved the tube towards the basking area more and put the other uvb with the other uva light.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah with a short tank like that I'd keep the T8 at 5'' and just put it right over the basking site next to the basking light. You may not need the additional screw in UVB bulb. The additional basking light would only be needed if the temperatures aren't in the gradient I mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom