Can't seem to get rid of coccidia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys! I'm new on the boards but I have read a lot of posts from this websites in my venture to rid my dragon of coccidia. He's ~6 months old, 14 inches long and weighed 111 grams last time i took him to the vet. He has had 2 prescriptions of Albon both came back positive for coccidia. He is now on Sulfa-Trim for the next week (2 weeks, one week has passed). I feed him worms around noon, greens and meds at 4, more worms and benebac at 6:30, lights off at 9:30. Was feeding him 3 times a day, 30 worms each time but cut him down to 2 times a day cause vet said i am probably over feeding him that 90 worms a day was a lot. I dust the worms 2 times a week with calci and 2 times a week with vitamins. I have a CHE light for him at night to help digest, keep the tank around 77-80. The vet can't seem to give me a count ,not sure how they count it there but they are saying its high. I am cleaning his cage every day with a 10% ammonia solution for 20 minutes and rinsing then airing out. he is sitting on just paper towels, I usually wait til he poops to clean his cage so i wont have to clean it more then once per day. I give him a bath while the ammonia is sitting in his cage (for around 20 minutes). I have recently switched his diet from crickets to reptiworms. His poop looks pretty bad still, often with a couple of repti worms in it, it doesn't look to formed but is not straight water either. He is passing everything else fine, as far as greens, bell peppers or whatever he eats veggie wise for the day. His basking light and UVB is kinda of far away since i had to remove his basking log from the cage. His temps are usually around 95-97 on the ground, if i can find a card board box or something to sit him on i do that but i throw it away the next day(temps get 102-105 on box). his UVB is about 14 inches from the ground in the cage (40 gallon), ~ 10 inches if on a box. Lights are 100w zoo med, and reptisun 10.0 24 inch. This has been going on for 2 months or so now, he is eating fine, stressed a lot, poops usually once a day, if he doesn't he poops the next day. The medicine doesn't seem to be working, he looks like he may be losing a little bit of weight, he tends to try to hide under the paper towls at night, not sure if hes trying to brumate since it is the winter months. I just ordered some baycox 5% from bearded dragon.co, i go in for another fecal on Thursday to see if the sulfatrim worked but if not i am going to try to the baycox. ( should i even go in for the fecal or just stop with the sulfatrim and wait for the baycox, which will be here friday, then go back for a fecal in another week after baycox treatment?) I know its .04cc per 100 grams for the baycox but not sure about a schedule. I saw somewhere it was .04cc every 2 days for a week (3 doses total). any information is helpful as im beginning to become overwhelmed, i want the best for him but these past couple months have been a wreck.

667f9b.jpeg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....is he on a probiotic ? If not then try to get him on something like soy yogurt, Acidophiliz+ or Benebac gel. I think you can get something here..www.bugdelite.com
That's Tracie's site [ one of the mods. here, username Drache613 ] The vet really should tell you what the count is, they usually do. So....what you might do is give him a break from the meds. if he's been on them for nearly 3 weeks, let his system recuperate from those drugs for about a week. Then try the Baycox. In the mean time feed him as much as he wants, he is still between a baby and a juvenile ! You don't want him to lose weight, that's for sure. Be happy that he has a good appetite while being treated because some dragons stop eating when on these meds. Hopefully the Baycox will do the trick. But again, feed him all he wants of the Phoenix worms and plenty of greens like turnip, mustard, collard, arugula.

qwankadank

Original Poster
Yeah I've been giving him bene bac and I'll feed him all he wants for sure . U think I should stop the sulfa trim? Or finish it and get a fecal done? And if it's still positive then go with the baycox?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm hesitant to advise you to quit the last week of sufatrim.....it's your call. I'd personally quit it, then go with the Baycox. Someone else might do it a different way, just continuing to see if this current treatment helps . From what I've read, Baycox works more quickly than the other 2 that you've used. You might p.m. Drache613 and get her [ Tracie's ] input.

qwankadank

Original Poster
That's what I will probably end up doing. I don't think it's working anyways. I'll give him a week eating a bunch and giving him bene bac then start the baycox. I just need information on dosage and schedule for it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your dragon is having trouble with coccidia. I agree, the vet should be able to give you a count though, it is usually pretty standard.
The Sulfa trim is or should be pretty effective, but sometimes it works better on some than others. You haven't seen any improvement at all?
Baycox or toltrazuril is specifically an anti-coccidial medication so it only takes 1-2 doses, 3 max making it much easier to give & safer on their system, too. Do you already have the Baycox on hand & if so, what is the strength of the solution/paste? I can dose for you, but need that & your dragon's weight, too.
The benebac you are using is fine, you are giving that daily right now?

At his age, he can have as much bugs as he would like. If you are feeding 90 phoenix worms per day, I don't see anything wrong with that, as they are small. He is 14 inches so that should be a good amount of food for him, along with greens. You can consider increasing his calcium to 3 times per week since he is growing.

Tracie

qwankadank

Original Poster
I got him tested for the first time around 2 months ago. They put him on Albon for 2 weeks, coccidia was still high, then another 2 weeks of albon, coccidia is still high. and now he is on sulfa trim for 2 weeks. I'm pretty much over these meds and wanna just kill the stuff. Hes been on meds for almost 6-8 weeks straight counting the panacur for the pinworms at the beginning.

Yes he is getting bene bac daily on his last meal 2-3 hours before bedtime and he also had a CHE bulb at night to help digestion.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is he doing today?
I hope the Baycox knocks it out for him, once & for all. He has been on meds for awhile now, so that would be nice to be able to not have to give him any meds anymore.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

qwankadank

Original Poster
I sent you a PM Tracie, but he's doing good. I haven't started the baycox yet just fattening him up and giving him bene bac for the next couple days. He's laying on the glass underneath the paper towels trying to dig or swim right now making a racket lol. I guess getting ready for bed.
Thanks for asking I'll keep you updated

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I Hope he is doing well & gaining some weight before you start the Baycox.
Let us know how he does on that medication, but, I think he will do just fine. Luckily, it is a pretty mild drug with very few reports of toxicity.

Tracie

qwankadank

Original Poster
He seems to be doing fine, ever since i took him off the sulfatrim he hasn't been stressed at all. Unfortunately i don't have a scale so i cant weight him. His poop has also thickened so i'm assuming it was mushy from the every day baths, although hes going every other day now. Hes still eating around 90 worms a day, and greens. he seems like he could eat more but that 10-15 min rule just cant apply to worms lol they gobble them up so fast! I plan on starting him on the baycox tomorrow or Thursday depending on when i have time to get in his cage and start cleaning it everyday again. Keep you updated!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great, it sounds like he is doing pretty well then!
This next round of meds shouldn't be too hard on him. His appetite is terrific, plus he is eating his greens too so he must not feel too terribly bad right now.
You are right, they do really go through those worms when they eat them! LOL
Let us know how he is doing & how the meds go for him.

Tracie

qwankadank

Original Poster
Alright here we go! Fed him greens and some worms, waited about an hour when he pooped took him out, cleaned his cage with ammonia, gave him a bath, the .045cc Baytox and just put him back in after I rinsed and let his cage air out. He seems to be taking it pretty well so far. We'll see if he eats later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom