Dealing with the Aftermath of Yellow Fungus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. My lovely girl Ollie was born with Yellow Fungus. She came from PetSmart and I got her in 2011. Her said to be hatch date was Feb. 4, 2011. This year on her birthday she passed away from YF at 5 years old. I miss her so much. Getting another beardie would help me with the process of her passing. I contacting Carolina Classic Dragons and I talked to David. I'm getting a new little guy hatched December 31st this Friday. Naming him Sonny. Although I'm very excited to raise my new baby, I am deathly afraid of him getting YF. I threw away everything in Ollie's cage and am getting all new caves,food bowls, substrate, and everything else. I am not getting a new tank and I planned to dilute bleach and clean it like that. It's been outside since she passed.

Like I said I don't want this new baby getting this horrible fungus. Ollie was everywhere in my house. She had her own little bed and slept with me every night. I threw all that away and washed all my bedding in hot water and dried them. I'm not sure if that is enough. She was everywhere in my living, the couch,carpet,hardwood floors running around. If any of you guys have any advice on keeping my new baby free of YF, I would be so thankful.
Gia

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear about Ollie. YF is no fun to deal with but 5 years is a pretty good run and it sounds like she had a wonderful life with you.

As far as cleaning goes, diluted bleach should kill everything but coccidia (ammonia kills that). I like to use a small steam cleaner to sanitize everything. Steam works really well to clean things like tanks and furniture. I also use F10SC disinfectant to spot clean and disinfect surfaces in the tank. If you clean everything in and around the tank really well with one (or more) of these methods it should be OK. Try to disinfect surfaces outside the tank that Ollie came into contact with frequently. There's only so much scrubbing and disinfecting you can do. As long as you do a reasonable job and focus on areas she came in contact with frequently you should be in good shape.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is amazing Ollie lived so long with yellow fungus! I am sorry you lost her.
I hope your new one, Sonny is nice & healthy for you. :D
I agree, steaming is very good & will kill anything, really.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom