Coccidia and Pinworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
My almost 3 month and 3 week old male dragon has not been exhibiting signs of illness, but I have had him for a little over a month and decided it was time for a check-up. He got an all-clear on the outside, but his fecal came back positive for Coccidia and Pinworms.

I know I need to start him on probiotics before proceeding with any treatment. I've heard of Acidopholiz+ and Bene Bac. Does anyone have an opinion on which is better? Any pros or cons?

And I'm a little leary in starting treatment simply because he is so small and young and I know antibiotics can wreak havoc on their system. He's about 42g. I spoke with his breeder, who said their immune system can generally fight them off if they aren't showing outward signs of illness. They said they don't usually deworm dragons until they are a bit older. He eats well, about 50-70 large Phoenix Worms a day and I just got him some Red Runner Roaches to try. He doesn't eat any greens, except for maybe 1-4 bites every few days. I haven't had much luck in that department. :roll:

As for medications, they want him on Albon and Panacur. I've heard Panacur is fine but people tend to shy away from Albon. His breeder suggested Baycox instead for the coccidia. Also known as Tortrazuril. Any opinions on that?

Should I start him on probiotics and see if he can fight these himself? Or should I start treatment?

I also know I have to do a deep clean of his tank. He is currently on tile, so I will bake those. Wash his hammock in hot water and throw it through the dryer on high, and bake his two fake rocks and branches. As for the cleaning the tank, I do have a steam cleaner but it's very drippy and I don't want to get a bunch of water in his tank because I don't know what organisms could be in it. I will ask the vet for the FS10 or FSC10 or whatever it is called. Beyond that, any specific regimens I should adopt for cleaning for Pinworms and Coccidia?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Did they mention what his counts were of the pinworms & coccidia?
If the counts are low enough or they don't seem to be affecting him, then most times it's best not to medicate. He seems to be eating quite a bit now, correct? It usually takes some time before they will eat greens. Just keep trying with those & maybe try putting some brightly colored berries or squash shavings in to peak his interest.
Both the acidophiliz & benebac are good & usually well tolerated/liked. The acidophiliz is a liquid & the benebac comes in powder or gel.
The Panacur is pretty mild but the Albon can be harsh. The Baycox/Toltrazuril would be a better choice for the coccidia, it is less harsh & a couple of treatments is all that is needed.
Since he doesn't seem to be feeling ill, you could start just by giving probiotics for him to see if his system can fight them on his own first.
The F10 cleaner will be fine or you can also use red apple cider vinegar diluted for cleaning. A steamer is always helpful in killing oocysts.

Tracie

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks so much Tracie, I posted here and had sent you e-mail, but I think you answered most of my questions! I agree on holding on medication. I'll get some Bene Bac and just dust his roaches and worms. He doesn't really drink anything so not how I would get the Acidophiliz+ in him. The counts just said >30, I sent the lab results to your thePats e-mail.

Thanks so much Tracie! I hope one day to be as helpful as you are in helping people with their sick dragons.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
I use f10 to clean as well as chlorhexidine for every day spot cleaning. I use bene bac powder but I mix it with water and syringe feed. I've tried rolling the worms in it and then feeding but both times I did this my dragon had trouble eating it because bene bac is very sticky when moistened.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
I use f10 to clean as well as chlorhexidine for every day spot cleaning. I use bene bac powder but I mix it with water and syringe feed. I've tried rolling the worms in it and then feeding but both times I did this my dragon had trouble eating it because bene bac is very sticky when moistened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom