Salmonella precautions for elderly family member

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magdalyne27

Hi there,
I really want a bearded dragon! I'm 23 years old, living with my parents and my elderly grandma is moving in with us over the next month. I've done a ton of research about dragon care etc. but I'm really only finding generic things about beardies and salmonella. I understand the risks involved and I work in a place where I handle reptiles and am often cleaning up after them. However my mother is concerned about having a reptile in our home with my grandmother who may be at risk for salmonella.due to her age and health. If I kept the beardie in my room, got it a tub to bathe in and if it ever pooped on anything I laundered it separately, shouldn't grandma be ok? Also if I got it from a reliable breeder not somewhere like Petco, AND I took it for frequent vet checkups would I be ok? I know there is no way of knowing for sure... I just know I'd be super careful taking proper measures to care for my dragon and my grandma. It would be very beneficial for my mental health (I struggle with depression) to have a pet to care for... Anything but fish gets shot down in my house though. I'm really trying and would appreciate any advice.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Dragons make excellent pets and companions. I don't think you'll have a problem as long as you keep everything clean and wash your hands well after handling. I suggest using F10SC disinfectant to clean the enclosure. Use a substrate that is easy to clean or replace such as ceramic tile or non adhesive shelf liner. For bathing, I've had good luck using a turkey roasting pan. They are portable, a good size even for an adult, and they are easy to clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom