How long is re-infection risk for Coccidia/Pinworms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!

I introduced my buddy Little Sebastian a month or two ago on here. He's been doing great, eating me out of house and home and growing quite rapidly. Today I took him in for his first vet visit and discovered that lo and behold, Little Sebastian is actually Lady Sebastian and SHE has coccidia and pinworms.

So, we've got 2 doses of Ponazuril and then 3 doses of Strongid to be administered once weekly.

I emptied out her viv today, cleaned with F10, let it dry, threw down some paper towels and attempted to make some platforms and hides out of cardboard boxes.

Lady Sebastian was NOT having any of it.

She has spent the past two hours glass surfing, a behavior she's never really exhibited before. I have a hunch she's really not thrilled that I removed the enormous piece of driftwood she basically lives on. I saw her staring at it and moved it out of sight. Little does she know it's probably never coming back to the near impossibility of sterilizing it and her insistence on pooping in inconvenient crevices. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I finally relented and put in a smaller piece of wood that I can easily soak, scrub, and pop back in the oven. She is still running back and forth but does take an occasional break to climb up there for a moment or two. Small victories.

Here is my question: we will be done with the Ponazuril on Saturday- how long would you estimate until I can put some more permanent furniture back in the viv without risking reinfection? I tried searching old threads but couldn't find an answer to this specific question (I'm sure one is out there somewhere). Do I need to wait until we're done with the Strongid or is pinworm less insidious than coccidia in terms of reinfection? Obviously don't want to end up back at the vet when all is said and done, but her viv is so tall and I can't figure out a good way to get her up close to her UVB using precariously stacked boxes.

Any ideas? Thanks!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would wait several weeks after her fecal being clear to be sure she doesn't reinfect. The direct life cycle is normally around 2 weeks. That is a surprise, Lady Sebastian instead. LOL That is a toss up. Pinworms may be a little harder to completely get rid of. Ha, they are both insidious though!
You could try for temporary use, bricks to stack up, safely of course so she can get closer to her light. Poor girl, so she loves her large drift wood log? The paper towels & cardboard are perfect, but not for her liking I understand.
If you disinfect the driftwood well enough, you should be able to use it again though. I would wait until she is done with all of the meds & has a clear fecal though, just to be sure.
I am glad to hear that she is eating well though, that is good news.

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

LittleSebastian

Original Poster
Thanks Tracie,

Poor thing looks terrible for a day or two after each dose of medicine (only one left thank goodness) and it breaks my heart. I've started with some acidophiliz+ so hopefully that will help her little belly! Hoping we have kept her tank clean enough to avoid re-contamination because I'd hate to repeat the meds after watching how uncomfortable they make her :(

Her big log is probably gone for good- it's too big to put in the oven and I honestly can't figure out how to keep it clean (particularly when she insists on using it as a toilet). We used a cinderblock with a tile on top to make a little platform for her and have some fun things for when she's better, so hopefully she'll learn to love live sans giant driftwood!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom