Norbert's De-worming Odyssey (advice?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juniper

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Henry
Norbert is 11 weeks old and I have had him for six weeks. He was diagnosed with coccidia and pinworms shortly after I got him and was prescribed albon and pancure. He went through the whole med cycle, and we just went in for a re-check, and he still has both parasites.

I'm thinking my cleaning was probably inadequate and that's why they're not gone, so I'm taking the tiles and furniture out of his tank tomorrow and replacing them with paper towels and something cardboard to bask on. But now that he's back on the meds, I also have other concerns:

I've heard ponazuril is better than albon, but my vet doesn't have it. (There are things that worry me a little about this vet, but the other animal clinics I called all referred me to him, and internet research hasn't turned up anyone better in the area). I kind of want to get hold of it if possible, but I don't know how to do that without a vet prescription. Also, his appetite has been decreasing the last few days. It stayed pretty consistent through his first cycle of meds and he just went back on them yesterday, after a week or two off. Today, his appetite has dropped off dramatically--he has only eaten five roaches all day. I'm wondering if this might be due to the meds, and what I can do to make sure he is still getting enough nutrition. He is an okay size for his age (33 grams--he just lost a gram after barely eating all day and doing a big poop in the bath :( ), has been growing a lot until the last couple days, and isn't lethargic--he's still active and inquisitive, even though his loss of appetite is worrisome.

Does anybody have any ideas? I'm reading other threads in this sub-forum too.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Juniper":3gjeepmv said:
Norbert is 11 weeks old and I have had him for six weeks. He was diagnosed with coccidia and pinworms shortly after I got him and was prescribed albon and pancure. He went through the whole med cycle, and we just went in for a re-check, and he still has both parasites.

I'm thinking my cleaning was probably inadequate and that's why they're not gone, so I'm taking the tiles and furniture out of his tank tomorrow and replacing them with paper towels and something cardboard to bask on. But now that he's back on the meds, I also have other concerns:
Quaternary ammonium cleaners are effective against conccidia, you might be able to talk to your vet about getting some or you zoomed sells a product called "wipe out!". Steam is also an option
I've heard ponazuril is better than albon, but my vet doesn't have it. (There are things that worry me a little about this vet, but the other animal clinics I called all referred me to him, and internet research hasn't turned up anyone better in the area). I kind of want to get hold of it if possible, but I don't know how to do that without a vet prescription.
What else worries you about the vet? Toltrazuril/Ponzuril is a large animal drug (developed for horses, as far as I know, so it isn't something some vets would have around and can be challenging to get in small enough amounts for out little lizard friends. Tell them about what you have read, and see if they would be willing to have it compounded at a pharmacy or order it online. Talk to you vet about this, they may be willing to listen to you and discuss the options. Some areas don't have many (any) vets that see reptiles, unfortunately.
Also, his appetite has been decreasing the last few days. It stayed pretty consistent through his first cycle of meds and he just went back on them yesterday, after a week or two off. Today, his appetite has dropped off dramatically--he has only eaten five roaches all day. I'm wondering if this might be due to the meds, and what I can do to make sure he is still getting enough nutrition. He is an okay size for his age (33 grams--he just lost a gram after barely eating all day and doing a big poop in the bath :( ), has been growing a lot until the last couple days, and isn't lethargic--he's still active and inquisitive, even though his loss of appetite is worrisome.

Does anybody have any ideas? I'm reading other threads in this sub-forum too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom