Does my bearded dragon have parasites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kermit is 11 months old and he used to eat all of his collard greens. This week he stopped thought. He would eat the chicken baby food I would give him but that's it. His stool has been runny and smells like a skunk (not even exaggerating, it literally smells like skunk). He has been active but not as active as he normally is. He just finished shedding his head as he had been shedding for about 2 weeks. He was gaping the other day under his light. He is also still alert. I have a vet appointment for tomorrow night but I want to know what could be going on now. Does he have parasites? His poop is normal color and his urates are white. I went to hold him this morning after he ate his chicken baby food and he didn't want me to. Then when I went to pet him he would back away. I don't understand. I have had him his whole life and he has always been so cuddly towards me. Are all these symptoms because he was shedding? Can shedding cause diarrhea? I am worried sick as I love my little man and don't want anything to happen to him. :( :'(

He has a 67 gallon tank and I use a 160W mercury vapor bulb. The hot side is about 100-102 and the cool side is about 80-85. I do not know his current weight since I do not have a scale (it is in storage at the moment). I cannot see his ribs from his back though which is good.

bluumonster

Original Poster
Kermit is 11 months old and he used to eat all of his collard greens. This week he stopped thought. He would eat the chicken baby food I would give him but that's it. His stool has been runny and smells like a skunk (not even exaggerating, it literally smells like skunk). He has been active but not as active as he normally is. He just finished shedding his head as he had been shedding for about 2 weeks. He was gaping the other day under his light. He is also still alert. I have a vet appointment for tomorrow night but I want to know what could be going on now. Does he have parasites? His poop is normal color and his urates are white. I went to hold him this morning after he ate his chicken baby food and he didn't want me to. Then when I went to pet him he would back away. I don't understand. I have had him his whole life and he has always been so cuddly towards me. Are all these symptoms because he was shedding? Can shedding cause diarrhea? I am worried sick as I love my little man and don't want anything to happen to him. :( :'(

He has a 67 gallon tank and I use a 160W mercury vapor bulb. The hot side is about 100-102 and the cool side is about 80-85. I do not know his current weight since I do not have a scale (it is in storage at the moment). I cannot see his ribs from his back though which is good.

This is a picture of him:
78928-4866572581.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The inactivity and skittish behavior could be related to a shed. That often puts them off of food for a bit too. If the poop smells unusually bad though, it could be parasites or it could just be diet related. Crickets can cause poop to be more smelly than other foods. As far as parasites go, the best thing to do is bring a fresh sample to the vet for testing. At my vet they do the tests in house and can have an answer pretty quickly.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I answered on your other thread about Kermit being on Flagyl. At least he should be able to get that cleared up now. He is a cutie there. Did he finish shedding also?
That is a great sized tank you have for him also. :D Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom