Transmission of Yellow Fungus

Status
Not open for further replies.

ememcee

I work in a pet store and one of our baby beardies came down with yellow fungus...I'm careful about washing my hands in between reptiles and now that he has symptoms, I'm wearing gloves to handle him, but should I be worried about handling my beardie at home? is it transmissible to ball pythons as well? I've been researching but so far, all I have found is it can affect "some species of snakes". Maybe I'm being overly paranoid but right now I have my boyfriend caring for and handling my own reptiles so I don't bring home the yellow fungus...am I okay with just careful hand washing or should I be taking other precautions?

npgeorgeuw

Hatchling Member
I'd imagine with thorough hand-washing you would be okay. Remember it's volume and soap/suds that matter most, you're trying to physically remove the germs. I don't believe many of the standard hand-sanitizers/disinfectants (you'd use on your hands) would do much for the yeast/fungus that causes YF. FWIW there are also studies that look at limiting the external spread of YF/CANV and there's mixed results as to how effective topical disinfectants like iodine actually are so if you pick a topical disinfectant or cage disinfectant choose wisely (Tracie/drache might be able to help is she around here). It sounds like the most external of cases can be treated with topical antifungals but if it has made its way internally only oral antifungals (preferentially voraconizole) may work.

If you are worried just buy a box of nitrile gloves and don't handle them (babies) outside of those protected areas (if they scurry up your arm at work, etc.). Changing clothes when you get home and all of these things can only help without going through draconian measures of sanitization...

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I would do similar to the advice for going to reptile expos as well. I think canv can be spread by spores/objects so changing clothes, taking a shower and sending the dirty clothes straight to the wash.

npgeorgeuw

Hatchling Member
Taterbug":3r5ag9y8 said:
I would do similar to the advice for going to reptile expos as well. I think canv can be spread by spores/objects so changing clothes, taking a shower and sending the dirty clothes straight to the wash.

Tater bug do we know if chlorhex is actually a proven disinfectant for canv? Studies seem to suggest povidone/iodine might increase the spread....

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I couldn't say with confidence - it's been a while since I read up on it, but that's what people had been getting from their vet. Hardly conclusive at all I know but it's been a minute.

npgeorgeuw

Hatchling Member
Taterbug":1g9rbczf said:
I couldn't say with confidence - it's been a while since I read up on it, but that's what people had been getting from their vet. Hardly conclusive at all I know but it's been a minute.

I'll pull the studies today and take a look to see if they've systematically looked at antimicrobial succeptability of CANV...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom