Washing Bearded Dragon Coccidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

blah57483

There's more than an abundant amount of information about disinfecting a coccidia infested terrarium, but what about the dragon itself??

I can go through all this trouble to disinfect the terrarium, but will the dragon not have coccidia all over himself and continue to reinfect the terrarium?

When dogs and cats are infected, they have to be disinfected and washed with something like a quaternary ammonium solution.

Thanks.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I don't think many people go so far as to "disinfect" the dragon, but it's a valid point and possibly why Coccidia treatment can go on so long.

I've seen it mentioned in other forums about using F10 (it's also used as a nebulizer treatment for snakes), so I suspect QUATs are safe for a diluted bath but I'd do a lot more reading/talk to a vet first before trying it my self. I'm interested to hear others suggestions too.

blah57483

Original Poster
Taterbug":3momwwc9 said:
I don't think many people go so far as to "disinfect" the dragon, but it's a valid point and possibly why Coccidia treatment can go on so long.

I've seen it mentioned in other forums about using F10 (it's also used as a nebulizer treatment for snakes), so I suspect QUATs are safe for a diluted bath but I'd do a lot more reading/talk to a vet first before trying it my self. I'm interested to hear others suggestions too.

I'll check out the f10. I use the pink professional disinfect from beardeddragon.co.

My dragon stinks really bad after his infection that 4 days of albon (until I could get panacur and baycox in the mail), and 2 doses of baycox hopefully cleared up. His poop doesn't stink anymore after the treatment and I'll get a fecal done after a week.

I got rid of repticarpet and installed tiles with grout, which is MUCH more sanitary and can be disinfected daily.

I moved and his new room was cold because of poor airflow from the heater. It took me a bit to get the temps right with different lamps and he didn't have night heat until I got him a CHE. He also got sick right after I started giving him herptivite, so I thought that his rancid poop was because of the vitamins (veggies and bugs for vitamins up until then, but I figured the multivitamin wouldn't hurt anything. He is big and healthy and has grown a ton without multivitamin supplements, so please don't preach, anyone). He is potty trained to go on his paper towels, but sometimes he didn't and the juices also soaked through the paper towels and into the carpet. This probably created a mega horde of coccidia because I was super busy and could only spot clean for a week or 2. A number of things could have caused his sickness, but I had also only ever used a bleach cleaner to clean his repticarpet and rocks, oven for his log, and windex for the enclosure. I never let the cleaners sit for very long because l didn't know that coccidia wasn't killed that easily.

My spare room stank so bad that I had to buy an ozone generator to get rid of the smell. It was stuck in everything in the room and the room itself. The dragon was quarantined to the bathroom until he got better. He has never gotten sick like this. It was disgusting! I will never buy herptivite again. It might be a coincidence, but I won't take that chance.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Oh my, was it just Coccidia or other bugs too? That seems unusually stinky for sure. Ponzuril/toltrazuril work well for coccida, better than Albon - maybe you can request that instead if the next fecal comes back possitive still. I would think the herptivite would be coincidental, and that stress from the move and low temps would be more likely. If you are wary of the brand having caused the problem maybe try another. How balanced the diet is really drives how much supplementing to do, and some deficencies take years to manifest.

When I treat for parasites I use a "hospital" tank set up - paper towel substrate with cardboard boxes for furniture. It's very easy to simply discard the soiled items and replace them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom