Accidentally Bitten

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJinPgh

Not quite sure which sub-forum this belongs in. Please move it if I picked the wrong one.

So, this morning I was hand-feeding one of our dragons, Alex, some dubias. It's generally easier to do it that way as they tend to hide under things too quickly if I just put them in with the food.

Anyway, she went to grab for one crawling on my hand, it moved, my hand didn't, and... chomp. Purely accidental on her part and she released immediately. She did, however, manage to break the skin.

I quickly washed my hand, swabbed the area with alcohol and cleaned it peroxide.

Is there anything else I should be doing? Anything to watch for or have done?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....you've taken the right precautions, so now the only thing I would add is to put a bit of Neosporin or antibiotic cream on + a bandaid. Then check it tomorrow + the next day....if you see a lot of swelling at any time, it may be best to go to an urgent care center or emergency room, but you'll prob. be fine. By the way, soap + water is fine for washing a cut but hydrogen peroxide is debatable as it can irritate the tissue.

TJinPgh

Original Poster
Hiya,
Thanks for the reply.

I've seen discussions elsewhere regarding peroxide. Dunno. I figured better safe than sorry.

On a somewhat related note, this was the first time I've feed her in several days because I have been suffering from the flu. (Prior to that, somebody else was feeding her before that...she wasn't going hungry!!). But, now, everybody else has it as well.

Are bearded dragons susceptible to human diseases like colds and flu? Is she any more at risk with the bite than just being in the room?

TJinPgh

Original Poster
That's great to know.

I've spent most of my life around mammals (dogs, rodents, etc.). Seemed like when one of us got sick, our dogs would end up with it as well. So, as a result, I've always just conditioned myself to stay clear of everything I can... particularly those who are unable to express how they are feeling, verbally.

With dogs, you can usually tell when they are sick. You can tell they are running a fever, etc. With dragons, so far as I can tell, they aren't even capable of running a fever so I'd hate to get one of them sick and have no way of recognizing it.

It's been something I'd been meaning to ask about for a couple of years and never got around to it.

Anyway, again, good to know.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom