Are grain mites harmful to bearded dragons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guel13b

Just had a follow uo stool sample done today. Al th parasites my dragon had were gone after a long battle of trying to get rid of them. (Pain in the ass). Any ways the vet said he found grain mites in his stool. They were all dead and said they woundt harm my beardie and i shouldnt worry. I wana know if i feed my guy supers that have grain mites will my BD get sick from the mites. Should i be worried. Should i get rid of my super worms? Thanks in advance.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Grain mites are pretty common & shouldn't really pose a health threat. What type of substrate do you keep the superworms in?
Was his fecal clear, other than the mites found?

Tracie

guel13b

Original Poster
Supers are on oatmeal amd the fecal did come back clear thank god it was a hastle dealing with. One quick question he constanly has his mouth slightly open like he's gapping but the temps are on point. Basking is at 104 and warm is at like 80 85. Humidity is 20 to 30 % no signs of RI. Any suggestions?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great his fecal came back normal then, no worries.
Just be sure the oatmeal is changed out somewhat frequently when it starts breaking down. Do you use potatoes, apples or carrots for moisture?
Could he be trying to brumate a little bit?
Does he gape in his tank or when he is out of his tank?
Maybe try to decrease his cooler end to a range of 78-82 or so, just a slight adjustment. How old is he?

Tracie

guel13b

Original Poster
Hey sorry for the long wait phone broke and just got a new one. Thanks for getting back. I use carrots and apples for moisture and gutloading. He was in brumation, he would always go in his cave and sleep. But lately he's been out and about but would go back in. I think he's undecided on brumation lol. He gapes in the tank and sometimes out of it but mostly in the tank. He is about a year and 4 months about 500 grams and 19 1/2". Would post a pic but dont really know how.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

No problem! :D
At his size, brumation is perfectly normal. Carrots & apples are fine for using in the mix.
Do you use organic oatmeal for the bedding too?
When they are undecided they will go in & out frequently. I am glad that he is doing well!

Tracie

guel13b

Original Poster
Yes i do use organic oatmeal. And yeah he's a little undecided trying to get him to eat his greens again but he's being very stubburn. Thanks for all the help tho. Really apreciate it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is good he is thinking about eating his greens, hopefully he will learn to like them. They can be very stubborn about it, that is for sure.
Good, the organic oatmeal is healthier!

To MelissaW, they can gape out of their tanks if they are trying to thermoregulate. You can start your own thread so we can review your tank setup also.

Tracie

guel13b

Original Poster
Now that ive menchened it what are some ways to get him to eat greens ive tried soo many ways and he refuses them almost everytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom