Can someone adopt my ADV positive sandfire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpmccormac

Hello. I am new to the forums and I have a problem. Was hoping someone can help. I had 2 dragons, Jesse a sandfire male and Alice a crimson blood. Both of them are super healthy almost a year old. They have become part of our family. Only issue was about 6 months ago, Alice got parasites and I took her to the vet. Both were treated and life was once again good. A few weeks ago I was in a local pet shop and saw a sandfire female who looked sick. The owner told me she was sick and she didn't know what was wrong. She offered her to me for free and said she was going to put her down if I didn't take her. In a rush, without thinking, I took her. I put a wooden partition to separate the tank but in the meantime, my male was exposed to her while I was getting the tank ready he jumped on her and even bit her head trying to mount her. We got them separated and within 48 hours I had a new tank and they have been totally separate since. I did 5 days of antibiotics thinking maybe it was just parasites, but with just miminal improvement I went to the vet. We did tests and injectable calcium for days and I have been hand feeding for 10 days. today I found out she has adenovirus. She has gained 30 gms since I have been hand feeding her. She is very quiet, doesn't move around much. I cried all afternoon as did my kids. I have to give her up though because with the kids I just know that eventually my other two will get it. I couldn't bear it. Plus, I know they might already have it, but we are going to wait a few months to have them tested as I have already spent money I don't even have to get Daisy treated. She is beautiful. I can't bear to have her put down. I just can't keep her. I was trying to save her by taking her in and foolishly may have hurt Jesse and Alice. Any ideas on what to do? Any idea who would want to take in a ADV positive beardie? Thanks Kathleen

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Kathleen...I'm sorry to hear about your situation. :( I jut wanted to suggest that you put this same post in the " For Free " section as well as the " rescue" section. You'll get far more views and possibly find a home for your girl. If she's gaining weight, you're doing a good job with her ! Don't be angry at yourself, you had a heartfelt reaction to a creature in need and it was sweet of you to help her. Hopefully your other 2 won't come down with it....you never know, he may not have had enough exposure to her. Anyway,I wish you success in finding her a home. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry to hear of your dragon having adeno. At least she is gaining weight now.
Hopefully your male didn't get exposed to the point of infection.
What supplements do you give her now?
If you need to find a home for her, you can post in the For Free forum to get more views.

Do you have any pictures of her we could see?

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You can join photobucket.com & then upload your photos there to make an album.
Then just copy/paste the IMG/URL to here for pictures.

How is your girl doing today?

Tracie

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
I have 3 dragons of which 2 are adeno positive. My first dragon is negative. A year later I took in a boy who is positive. Then 2 years later I took in another little girl who is positive so since 2012 I have had a positive and a negative dragon and now for a year I have had 2 adeno positive dragons and my first girl continues to test negative. The only thing I make absolutely sure of is that no one gets close to another ones poop. So if you wanted to keep her it would be very easy to make sure your others did not contract the disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom