Trichomonas Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cayo

Hello, I had just had a fecal done and was told my Beardie has trichomonas. Now im curious as to where she got this, she is on reptile carpet, and her cage is cleaned of poop daily. Is this something that could be gotten from her crickets?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Trichomonas are normally passed from mice & rats. l am not sure if they can be ingested from crickets, but possibly. Where do you get your insects from?
Which medication is she on for them?

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The Metronidazole is used to treat them so it should help clear those levels up. How long does he have him on the meds for?
Is he eating normally?
I suppose the crickets could have been infected, but have not heard of that type of infection in them.
Are you keeping the cricket keeper clean & with clean water for them too?

Tracie

Cayo

Original Poster
Yup i have been keeping everything clean. The cricket keeper is cleaned out completely when i get new crickets every few days. She is eating every day, no sign of any issues, and i have been giving her 3 baths a week as per the vet said. She is to take the medicine for 1 week, then stop for a week, then do it one more week.

I have no idea where the parasites came from, i have no other outside influence coming in except from the crickets. I let Petco know it may have come from there crickets, but they always get new ones tuesdays and fridays.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is she doing today, is her appetite good?
It sounds like you do a great job at keeping the cricket keeper clean so I highly doubt it is anything you did.
It could have been carried in the crickets.
Is she already done with her meds now & then one more week of the meds after a break?

Tracie

Cayo

Original Poster
Her appetite has not gone down at all, she is a fat and happy lizard. Today will be day 7, then she will not take it for the week, then she begins it again.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It sounds like she is doing well right now! At least she gets a break from the meds, now also.
I am glad to hear she is doing great with no reduction in appetite right now.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom