forgot to wash hands after hilding beared dragon! help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I am new to this site. So hi!
But today I was holding and playing with my dragon and the for got to wash my hands and I always wash my hands after I touch her but anyway then I ate finger food! Help is there anyway ill get sick? :? I am smacking my head against the wall because I can't believe I was stupid and totally for got! :banghead:
Please someone help!!

Brezzy99

Sub-Adult Member
Try not to be so hard on yourself. There have been plenty of people forget to wash their hands. The main thing to watch out for is salmonella. Don't freak out just yet. Your beardie would have to have feces on him, the feces get on your hands, and then you get it in your mouth. Sounds nasty. A few ways to protect yourself from cross contamination is by keeping his enclosure clean. If he is housed on a loose substrate and uses the bathroom in his enclosure then you could get sick. There are a lot of what-ifs in this situation. Hope everything works out.

firedragon2248

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the quick response! But what if part of her body touch or rubbed against her feces and I was holding her from underneath. So could I still get sick? I mean I hear it's rare to fetch it from bearer dragons. Yes I clean her cage out every week and sift her sand.
Thanks!

Brezzy99

Sub-Adult Member
You're welcome! Salmonella Cotham is the rare strain of salmonella bearded dragons carry. There is a lot of information online about this and all the symptoms. This might be the wrong time to mention this but housing your beardie on sand isn't good. There are many reasons why you shouldn't. Think of it like a giant littebox. Even after sifting the poop out the bacteria is still in there. It can also cause impaction. Notice it clump up when it gets wet, that's what could happen inside your beardies stomach. A easier, cleaner substrate is tile, paper towels, newspaper, and non adhesive shelf liner.

firedragon2248

Original Poster
I am actually a very new bearded dragon owner I bought her from someone about 2 months ago she came with everything and she already had sand in her cage I might add it was very old sand it had lots of old food and stuff so I bought new sand witch costed a lot of money.I did think of the germ possibilities but she just loves sand she loves digging in it every night before she goose to bed and she just started laying eggs and likes to hide them in the sand

Brezzy99

Sub-Adult Member
Poor baby! Laying eggs is tough work. You could make a lay box for her. Some people even put slate tile on one side and sand on the other.

firedragon2248

Original Poster
Yeah she layed 24. can I ask you a question is that a healthy number for eggs? And how often will she lay them? She has never mated. She gets very protective over her eggs mostly when I take them out.

Brezzy99

Sub-Adult Member
I wish I could answer your question. I have two males, 3 and 6 months old. I do know that it is common for females to lay infertile eggs, like birds. You could post that question in the health or general forum. There are a lot of very helpful people on this site that will be able to answer your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abby999
Top Bottom