Rocky Poops Not looking good

Status
Not open for further replies.

pogismom

Hatchling Member
Rocky was adopted about two weeks ago via Dragons4You...I have a thread with his travels and such...he has been having very sporadic poops...3 total poops since he has arrived. First looked like a cow patty, wet but not runny and it was about 4 days of back up...next was about 3 days later and it was after he had eaten a hearty helping of pumpkin the day before and it was a lot wetter...then another two days have passed and still no poop so I gave him some pumpkin this morning and he pooped a big wet one in front of me this afternoon. Here is a close up.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wa39w5b720os1fv/diarreha 3 close.JPG

He has not been as eager to get out of his sleeper and go bask either for several days now...I have had to fetch him and put him on his basking spot. His temps are low 90's to 104 depending on what spot I measure on his basking tree. I have removed the tree today and put bricks there for he was having issues climbing up tree so I thought maybe that's why he was struggling to get up there. Am ordering a custom platform from JoJo's Platforms on Etsy for him.

Food wise, he has been eating some greens, and dubias on a daily basis..not ravenous but eating. He was pretty eager this afternoon when he saw me rearranging the side I put his food, as if he expected to find his live feeders so I thought I should feed him some dubias and as he was eagerly waiting and getting very hyper about it he took off and pooped that wet mess.

Don't see him drinking but I am soaking him daily. And I keep his greens moist.

Im thinking parasites....he has his first vet check up Thursday. May give him pumpkin weds if he doesn't poop so I can get a fecal to bring with me on Thursday.

So the parasite cycle begins all over again...I asked a vet tech one time if beardies were really as hardy as they say since I haven't had luck with them. she said not really...but that they were the hardiest of all the other reptiles they see. plus she said their personalities really make them outstanding pets...I agree.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....I'm glad to see that you have a new beardie, I remember the sad situation when you lost Pogi. I just wanted to mention that the irregular poos can be normal at times when a dragon goes to a new home, he's still settling in and getting used to a new home + a new diet. Also, canned pumpkin is O.K. to use in small amounts to help him poo, so since he ate alot you would get the messy tank for sure. :shock: So just give him more greens with just a bit of the pumpkin. It may have irritated his tummy just a bit, and that might cause a bit of lethargy or reluctance to bask. He should settle in within a month or so. Hopefully you'll have him around for a long time. :)

pogismom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you so much for the comforting words... It does make me feel better. I agree he probably ate too much pumpkin today. I know I'm just extra sensitive and cautious because of Pogi. My youngest showed me some pictures if Pogi he taken in his Kindle... Had a wave of guilt wash over me with doubts as to if I should had put him down... But the vet was pretty certain that his situation was dire and guarded...she also said if she thought he had a chance she would continue treatment but she didn't see that as an option for him... Still breaks my heart. Nobody likes having to make those kinds of decisions and yet we know we will eventually need to anytime we adopt a pet. Unless its one who could outlive you of course like an Amazon Parrot!

I will lay off the pumpkin and see how it goes. His energy definitely picked up after his poop explosion and since I changed out his basking tree for his bricks... Seems more comfy now... Am waiting on a custom platform from JoJos Hides on Etsy so I'm excited about that! Right after he popped he was all over his tank especially his background picture if rocks which he relentlessly tried to climb but alas couldn't....it never fails to deceive them into thinking the space is bigger than it is... After his vet check up if all is clear with parasites I plan to add more climbing things for him. Plus let him roam around the house n couch... Though my dogs may not appreciate sharing their couches with Rocky!

Again thank you for the reassuring thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom