parasites + worried about a mark (hoping not YF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platypus

We've had this little guy (Hodor) for about 3 weeks, adopted from not-the-best of situations. He eats heartily, and he's very tame to handling. We think he's about 3-4 years old. 16.5" long (with an old tail nip / crooked tip) and 489 grams as of yesterday. I don't think he's had an exams or treatment for parasites previously.

We took him in for a wellness exam at a very good local exotic vet yesterday. The fecal exam showed "trichomonas, hexamita, oxyurida, strongyles, and a variety of unknown species of protozoal parasites." I looked these up enough to know that's a bunch of protozoa, nematodes, and a relative of giardia. He's on Panacur (0.24ml of 100mg/ml) orally once a day for 5 days, skip 3 weeks, then continue for another 5 days. AND he's on Metronidazole (0.08ml of 250mg/ml) once daily for 7 days, skip a week, again once daily for 7 days, skip a week, then again once daily for 7 days. Poor boy!

I picked up some bene-bac (probiotic) and plan on giving it to him on the off weeks from the metronidazole. We'll also be giving him nearly daily baths. We've disinfected his enclosure with the pink stuff from beardeddragon.co and pulled out all of his wood for the next 6 weeks.

He has a dark black mark with a white center on the top of his eye bump, which he's had since we brought him home. I remember seeing that his light bulbs at his previous home were low enough in his previous enclosure that he could have burned himself on them, but we don't know for sure how the mark really came about. The vet didn't know what it was, and found it puzzling. She wants to biopsy ($450) but we'd rather wait and see. She voiced some concern that it could be yellow fungus, but again wasn't sure. To me it looks different than the pictures I've seen of yellow fungus?

Does anyone know if this looks like a scar? Or like yellow fungus?

Picture from when we first brought him home, in the bath:
IMG_20140329_135200_zps1f2aeb4a.jpg

Picture from two weeks ago:
IMG_20140330_184359_zps59832809.jpg

Picture from yesterday, after the vet appointment:
IMG_20140419_144938_zpsff868d7b.jpg

Picture from today:
IMG_20140420_121608_zpsb7d30ca2.jpg

Picture from today:
IMG_20140420_121548_zpscb644acf.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

No, those marks are not yellow fungus. They look more like what you mentioned, a scar possibly from a burn or bad shed perhaps. A lot of his body is going to shed, too. He is a nice looking dragon, too. His weight is good also.

I would give the benebac for the entire course of time when he is on the meds, to help with his tummy. The meds, especially the Metronidazole, can upset their system & dehydrate them too.
The doses look pretty good. I can double check the doses if you would like.
How is he doing?

Tracie

Platypus

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the feedback! I'm glad for the sanity check. :D

He shed a TON the first week we had him (two weeks ago), and he had some really thick patches of shed on his upper back and base of his tail that were stubborn. We give him nearly daily baths and apply aloe on the stubborn spots, and he's looking beautiful. The "bath" that his previous owner gave him amounted to a dish set in the enclosure (which held 3 dragons on sand) which often had crickets floating in it and looked like mud by the end of the day. :(

Honestly, he's feisty and seems happy, despite the parasites and the medication. He eats his veggies + greens daily, and he gobbles up any feeders we give him in seconds. We really couldn't ask for a more calm and easy beardie! We'll give him the bene-bac continually.. should we give it daily? Every other day?

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom