Third round of antibiotics for coccidia - Please HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp, Arthur was diagnosed with having coccidia at the beginning of March. The doc prescribed Albon. I was initially trying to steam clean but I didn't feel like it was working. So, I started using the "pink cleaner" from beardeddragon.co as I like to call it. I knew after the first 10 days of the meds, she wasn't clear. I waited a couple of weeks and dosed her again. Full round of the pink cleaner - 10 days of the Albon.

I thought we had turned the corner. Her poop was looking normal. I was bathing her every night while she was on the med as I've read if can dehydrate them and letting the spray sit in her cage for a good 10-15 minutes. Wiped it up, sprayed with water and wiped that up. When she went to bed, I took her rock out and sprayed it and let it dry overnight.

Alas, I took a fecal sample in today and it's still there if not worse. I watched it all over the place and multiply. It was much scarier than the first time. He prescribed her Sulfatrim and now I'm kinda freaking out. I only read bad things from people who's beardie's are on it on beardeddragon.com. It seems like the beginning of the end for some! Ugh.

I read several places about Cheryl on here who everyone says is very knowledgeable. She sell something that starts with a "T" - toltrazuril. It seems like its much better than the sulfatrim. Who has experience with this drug?

Arthur is roughly 280 grams today. She was 197 at the beginning of March so I know she's still growing. She eats mustard greens (with squash today) and crickets. I've recently bought a dubia colony and knowing I'm not supposed to be bothering it right now, fed her out of it tonight. Probably just under 15. I squirted a probiotic on the roaches.

I read on one of the posts tonight about how rampant it can be in a cage and now realize one of my problems. She has taken to falling asleep on my shoulder at night. On her blanket. And then I wrap her up and put her to bed. I realized its probably covered. I feel like such an *****.

I need a new course of action. What are your suggestions? She has nothing but a basking rock, a small water dish and greens dish. All removed at night and sprayed, dried overnight and rinsed. I feel so sorry for her. I guess that's why I've been pampering her so much and putting her to sleep. What if I got several different blankets and used a new one each night? Would washing them in the washing machine kill it?

I am scared to give her that sulfatrim basically. Giving it to her twice a day can be done but I will totally be disrupting any type of schedule she has. Sometimes I leave at 6 am, sometimes I leave at 9 am. I'm thinking I'd be better off ordering the toltrulzile (sp?). I love the idea of injecting worms as she is SO tired of taking medicine from a syringe. She's so good. I can give it to her by myself. She's starting to get feisty and I know it's going to start getting harder on her.

Again, I'm so sorry to be so long. I'm trying not to freak out. I'm so attached to her. I just don't want this to get her!! Thanks in advance for the advice and expertise!!

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I used toltrazuril from beardeddragon.co on Geico when he had a very stubborn case of coccida. I tired the toltrazuril on a recommendation from a member here and in 2 doses <5 days apart> Geico was clean of coccidian. I to use the pink cleaner from beardeddragon.co. I think several have been impressed by the toltrazuril that have used it for coccidia. I gave him 2 doses, waited a week after the last dose and took a fecal back to his vet and it was clean. I cannot in clear conscious tell you to go against your vets advice with the sulfatrim. I can only tell you what worked for Geico and myself. I would ask your vet about it before taking him off a prescribed drug and putting him on something else.
As for bedding, I soaked Geico's bedding in the pink cleaner for 15 min's then rinsed in hot water, then ran it through the washing machine. I also used paper towels as substrate so they could be removed at every poop and replaced. His log was baked nightly in the oven at 250 for 30 min's after soaking in the pink cleaner in a bucket. Lot of work but I got him clear of the coccidia. I cannot stress enough how important it is to keep an almost sterile environment so reinfection doesn't occur. Again ask your vet about the toltrazuril.

Dragonmommie

Original Poster
Tonja -

Thanks so much for the reply. I will call my vet tomorrow about the meds. If he insists she stay on the sulfatrim, I'm going to ask if I can inject worms with it. She absolutely hates it. On top of having do to it myself, I know more is coming out than going in. I've had to wake it up to try to give it to her and she's NOT happy about it. Lol. I wouldn't be either...

I been using paper towels as her substrate and removing them as soon as I can. Sometimes it's not until night when I get home. Sometimes I'm home and I can get it right up. I will continue with the nightly baths while her habitat is soaking. I'm going to start treating her bedding like you did Geico's. Did you use "new" cleaner every night? I was thinking of having a bucket to let it soak it in. Wondering if I need to put new cleaner in every night. I'm going to wash her bedding on the sanitize cycle on the washing machine. I'm still going to spray her rock, greens tray and water dish every night and let it air dry and rinse it in the morning.

Let me know if you think this is a good plan? Heck, I'm so paranoid now. I'm spraying everything... Ugh. I hate this for her. She's such a sweet girl!!

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I used a capful to a quart of water clean every night to soak bedding. Sounds like you are doing the right things.

Jacqqui

Hi there,
Sorry for what you are going through. Mine has a really bad case of Coccidia and we're on the Trim-Sulfa. I have heard of the other med but am scared to stop this one as I just started it. I also have her on probiotics.

I really only wanted to chime in about the blanket. I don't know what you use, but if flannel will work buy some from Walmart or somewhere cheap, and cut it in the right size and use and dispose of. I know it sounds wasteful but it's one less thing you have to worry about if you sterilized well enough.

Good luck

Jacqui

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom