On the right track with coccidia treatment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Arthur was diagnosed with coccidia on Monday. The vet put her on Album for 10 days.

I've been doing research and see that steam kills the pest. I'm wanting to confirm this as I'm not sure about using ammonia. I'm too scared the ammonia fumes will hurt her or am I way off base? I've never cleaned with it. Ive taken everything out of her viv except for her rock and water pool.

I've bought a steamer and steamed the viv last night as well as her rock. I keep reading the steam has to be 165 to kill it. I've been trying to read the temps with my temp gun but you know its hard to have a temp gun near all that humidity! I'm hoping it's getting not enough! From what I've read, I need to bake her rock? And do I need to do it every day?

I plan on steaming the viv every night while she's soaking in a bath so she can hydrate. I also bought some of the Acidophiliz+ and should be getting it any day in the mail. I should start her on that immediately, right?

Please share any advice y'all have had in dealing with nasty little thing!! I want to knock it out the first time!! Thanks soooooooo much!!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Steaming is effective and much easier than ammonia or related products. Ammonia needs to be rinsed very well, I find it impractical . The stream should be applied for several seconds ,i think 10-15 per area. You could either steam a probe thermometer or temp gun the surface immediately after moving the steamer nozzle to get an idea if the temp. You'll need to keep the nozzle pretty close to the surface since the steam cools pretty quickly.

The more cleaning you do the more effective the treatment. It's especially important to be fastidious about things that get pooped on. I'd remove the water dish during treatment.

You can remove the furniture and replace it with disposable items, like cardboard and newspaper.

Dragonmommie

Original Poster
Thanks Taterbug! I've been steaming away!! I've discovered the head of the steamer I'm using is over 200 degrees. I'm keeping it on the surface while I'm steaming and going r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w... I'm hoping this is going to work. I've taken everything out except her rock. I'm steaming it as well. I'm going to look for something disposable I can use for her.

She has a bed. I steamed it as well. When I steam the fabric, it gets well over 200. Do you think that's ok?

She pooped in her bathtub tonight (using a cat litter pan that works great). I took her out immediately and cleaned it out with ammonia. Man, that stuff will knock you OVER!! There's no way I could use that to clean her viv! I'd never get those fumes out. So, here's to steaming and steaming and steaming!!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I'm not sure about the blanket/bed. Most recommendations are to bake or dispose if porus items. But I've steamed and baked my sticks so it's going to be up to you if you feel it got hot enough. It sounds like it did tho.

I hate cleaning with ammonia. I hate even opening the bottle!

Dragonmommie

Original Poster
Well, we're almost done with our meds and I'm still steaming. I try to measure the temp and now I'm getting neurotic that I'm not doing a good enough job. I probably am, but I'm a panicky dragon mommy. Lol.

I thought about pouring boiling water in her cage after I steam it just to be safe.

Thoughts?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
have a 4x2x2 wood viv so my options are very limited, I can't even move it around the room on my own. Clean you cage to your satisfaction and ability, if you are cleaning and steaming you are on the right track, and probably don't need to break your back with going overboard. Boiling water may shatter your glass, so be careful if you go that route...

Keep in mind coccidia is considered to be potentially "commensal" in dragons. They likely will always have a little but their immune systems should suppress it from getting out of control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom