living with yellow fungus

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
is it curable or is it just treatable?

my girl has been on voriconazole for under a month now and i've seen drastic improvement in not only her appearance but her behavior/eating habits as well.

I read so many horror stories about YF. I'm doing my best for her but I'm also not trying to get my hopes up too high since everything I've read sounds like it's a death sentence.

I want to thank Drache613 for helping me out through all of this. :blob5:

Anyone else with advice please let me know!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I'm not sure if it's cure-able, but all I've read suggest that successful treatment is at least possible when done right/soon enough. I get the impression that it's pretty brutal and often fatal, but that it's not always a death sentence. It's great to hear Pixel is showing improvements! Hopefully she will be one of the success stories! I know I'm rooting for her.

breeyawnah

I wouldn't worry if I were you. My beardie had yellow fungus when he was just 4 months old. Tiny little guy right? The herp vet I went to said as long as its caught early on you'll be fine. I psyched myself out think Thor was going to die but he's definitely living. :wink:
Just be patient, your beardie will probably shed and the fungus will look Visible and bad again, but its nothing to worry about. They're just getting rid of the dead skin. Reptiles take a long time to heal.

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the advice!
Pixel seems to have shed most of the yellow spots now besides a few in her beard. It's her second shed since we started the medication. After the first one she looked horrible, but after this one she is definitely my pretty little red dragon again.
I'm rooting for her for sure, she's survived so much trauma in her short little life all ready I'm hoping we can get through this one too :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am very happy Pixel is doing so much better now & shedding off the skin slowly! :D
How is her appetite doing now?
I really hope that it was all caught in time.

Tracie

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Her appetite is great, she's still a little pig.
I hope so too, her re visit with the vet is coming up soon.... i'm nervous and excited.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

OH I am sure that Pixel will get a clean bill of health at the vets!
I am happy to hear she is eating so well also, that is wonderful news. :D

Keep us posted.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Pixel is beautiful. :D
I am glad that she is doing so much better now!

Tracie

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Pixel has one more day of treatment left and unfortunately she has a few new spots of fungus. I am so heartbroken. She was doing so well. I plan on giving it a month after we're done the medication before I make the decision to have her euthanized. It may sound horrible, and it's not the fact I don't want to treat her again, believe me I do. I just can't see her go through this again with possibly (probably) the same outcome.

Wish us luck and hope these few spots are just a fluke and that we did beat the fungus...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, Pixel has a few more spots that cropped up? Where at now?
Is her appetite doing good?
I was hoping she had beat it, but it is hard though, it can consume their systems. How long has she been on meds for now? Depending on the extent, it can take quite awhile for it all to leave the system.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom