Suspicions Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

pogismom

Hatchling Member
In my post of Repticom Help Me...I alluded to a vet trip for Pogi due to loss of appetite and to get her first 'well visit'. My fears were confirmed...pinworms and coccidia. She is now on Albon once a day for 7 days, and Panacur once a week for 3 wks. They gave her a dose of the Albon in the vet office to show me how to administer. She is 19 grams. They thought she was a little small but very active and alert. Plus gave me a reptile probiotic to give daily while on treatment. We have a recheck next week to see if the cocidia is under control. Then another one in 3 wks for her pinworms. Apparently her readings on her stool sample were VERY high for both. She did say pinworms can trigger the other to rise. Plus cause her lack of appetite. In addition they said she was too young to tell what gender. Also filed her nails for me. I feel pretty fortunate to have a good exotic vet in the small southern town I live in. She has treated all my birds, rabbit, and guinea pigs. What's nice too is she has owned many of the pets she treats so she is very empathetic with her clients and patients. She did warn me that cocidia was contagious...which is freaking me out a little since I have been the one to hold her the most and even rub noses with her. UGH. she is just to darn cute for me not to want to snuggle with her. just glad we got her started on the meds. The dose is small enough too for me to quickly squirt it in her mouth when I massage her mouth open. So small I'm afraid to hurt her.

I was also advised to cut back on the proteins, and try not to let her gorge on them when offered to help avoid impaction. I also need to work on getting her interest in greens by mashing her food more. Plus she recommended dandelion greens which are not available in our regular grocery stores...and mustard greens and an Italian green that she says is similar to dandelion but again not regularly available.

When I got home I followed up on everything she said to do including sanitizing her accessories and old tank with a pre-diluted bleach I bought. I washed everything in HOT water in the tub after letting soak. Problem is I also did her water bowl and even though it was just a drop, it still has the faintest bleach of smell on it...I have soaked it in hot water but still can get a whiff. Plan to stick it in dishwasher tonight to see if it helps. Fear of poisoning her.

Well, I hope this will not turn into other things. I love how pet stores etc...advertise them as beginners pets...just like they do with guinea pigs....these are not for beginners considering all the potential issues that arise and need to be taken care of. I bet all those other beardies in her tank are infected too. Will let the petstore know about it.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry that your little one has these nasties ! I'm glad the vet gave you a probiotic to help balance her gut flora that the meds. will wipe out. I'm wondering about her advice to cut back on protein.....really Pogi has not eaten well, and she needs every bite of protein she can get right now. Please continue to offer protein, as much as she will eat, BUT, only the small insects. They should be no longer than the space between her eyes. The SIZE of the insects is critical to avoid impaction in a small dragon [ once they hit the 10 -11" mark they handle much larger prey ] but a tiny baby needs protein to stay healthy. I really hope Pogi can handle these meds.The idea of greens is good, but try to get some 1/4" crix and or small/medium Phoenix worms. Poor little Pogi. ! I'm pulling for her! By the way, you are probably fine with rubbing noses....it's keeping your hands washed that is important.

pogismom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you for your supportive wishes. I did give her two small wax worms by tucking them into her mustard greens to try and entice her to eat some veggies. Noticed the wax worms are gone but still a lot of veggies left. Will try again...and again. I agree she does need to eat so I will just be sure her proteins are small sized and just spread them out throughout the day n put in with her greens.

Thanks too for easing my mind about rubbing noses!

pogismom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hooray! Pogi's fecal came out negative today and he gained 2 grams since the last time he was weighed which was a week ago!

I could tell he was getting better when his appetite came back (loves the Phoenix worms again!!!) and he started roaming around his tank more checking things out.

Plus he is starting to shed some more and I have read that is sign they are growing...so I figured he must be getting better to be eating and growing.

Vet still wants to do one more week's worth of the meds (w pro biotic too) and another fecal just to be completely sure...

But I must say I feel a great sense of relief and feel more at ease about handling him.

I also spoke with pet store and they told me to bring my vet bill to see if there is anything they can do about reimbursing me for some of his care. So I hope that will be the case...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom