Yellow Fungus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anhoffman

Unfortunately I think my little Oscar has yellow fungus.(right under the base of his tail) I've been reading on here and I saw that one cause is from being on an anti-biotic for a long period of time. He's been on Baytril for a little over a month for treating a problem with his foot. The yellow area is on the same side as his foot. I also put SSD ointment on his foot every night. I feel these are the culprits. I've seen many different treatments, monistat, lamisil, witch hazel, betadine, novalsan, etc.

He's in the middle of beginning to shed again. He just finished last week. He's 3-4 months old and 12 inches long. He eats a lot. 20-30 dusted crickets a day. Occasionally waxworms and/or mealworms. Not to great with veggies. He wont eat them on his own so I puree them and add his herptivite to it. He doesn't like it on his crickets. And he eats the puree off a spoon or from a dropper.

I guess what I am getting too is what is the best for treating this since I know its not internal. Should I just get a fungal cream? when bathing him what ratio should I add the betadine or novalsan to his bath? Or is the another one I could use? Or should I just apply it directly? He's mostly yellow so I'm not sure if he has it anywhere else.

tfww.jpg

nbbp.jpg

p712.jpg

This is his foot. Ignore the color it was just dipped in a Iodine solution.
u5e6.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....he's a cute little guy ! That's great that he's still eating despite being on antibiotics for a month. Some beardies won't eat after being on a.b.'s that long. He is a bit thin, so if he'll eat more , offer him another 15 -20 crix a day. I personally would stop the antibiotics, that's a long time + can cause health problems. Make sure to get a probiotic to replace the good gut flora that the a.b.'s are destroying.... [that itself can lead to Y.F. ] Some probiotics can be Acidophiliz +, Benebac or soy yogurt. You might want to add a little extra water to his pureed food as well for hydration.His foot will heal without antibiotics, beardies can deal with trauma to the extremities without a lot of antibiotics. The area will either heal, or just wither up + possibly drop a few toes. You can keep up the SSD ointment, or even unpasteurized honey [ good for wounds, it acts as a natural antibacterial/antibiotic] As for the area by his tail, it may or may not be Y.F., but it won't hurt to put the same cream on it. Can you post another pic of both sides of the tail after he sheds ? You can use watered down betadine [ the color of ice tea ]on it, just dab it on it you don't want to bathe him a lot. Hopefully it's just a little sore + that as well as his foot will heal up soon. :)

Anhoffman

Original Poster
Thank you for replying. He actually goes for another check up tomorrow. I allow him to eat as much as he wants. I'm trying to give him some fattening foods such as mealworms and waxworms, along with his crickets. The vet says he is gaining weight. I know he's growing. But I think he's a little thin as well. Is it okay if I add betadine to his bath? I know you said not to bath him but the vet recommended at least every day if not every other day. He never really drinks water that's why I bath him a lot, especially since he is shedding so often. It's also his favorite time to go potty. I've seen on quite a few posts about using bactine. Would that be okay as well?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes,you can do the betadine baths of you like, I just mentioned an option of dabbing it if you were afraid of the Y.F [ if that's what it is ] spreading. There are vets that are pro bath, + there are some against it. As for using Bactine, I've never heard of that. But I really would get him off the antibiotics....it is thought to be one of the causes of Y.F. developing after a.b.'s wipe out the good gut flora which allows it to develop internally, and that's why it's often seen around the vent.

Anhoffman

Original Poster
I will stop giving him the baytril. I'll treat it as Y.F. until I know more. Better safe than sorry, right? Thank you for your help and advise. Hopefully things will look better in the next few days or after he sheds his tail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom