Atadenivirus Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I just found out today that my sweet beardie is atadenovirus positive. She seems pretty asymptomatic right now, but I guess my primary question is what should I be looking out for and is there anything special treatment wise that I should be doing to keep her healthy? My heart broke today when I found out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry to hear your girl is positive for Adeno. Is she your only dragon?
I would begin therapy for the liver. You can use milk thistle or serrapeptase either one to help the liver.
Also, colloidal silver is a great antimicrobial that can be used to help thwart infections.
What type of setup do you have for her?

Tracie

auryncharm

Original Poster
She is my only baby. I love her to pieces. She has not been exposed to any other dragons since I've had her, so my guess is,that she was probably born with it or contracted it while very young. My baby is a year old now. I had her tested because I didn't know anything about her background being from a pet store, and after reading about how contagious Atadeno is, I wanted to know to try to be somewhat prepared for what could happen. Also, if she was positive, I wanted to keep her away from other healthy beardies. She is in a 40 gallon breeder. I keep her warm side around 90 degrees and her basking spot around 105. Her cool side is at 80. I am meticulous about her terrarium temps (especially now that it's cooler out and we do tend to keep the house cool). I check the temps a few times a day with my temperature gun and also keep analog thermometers inside both sides if the terrarium. At night, I run a 100 watt heat emitter since I know the house at night is cooler than 65, usually more like 60. With the emitter her enclosure stays around 70-72. I am definitely wanting to try to begin liver treatment. Where would I get milk thistle or colloidal silver? Would they have these at a health store like the Vitamin Shop or should I ask my Vet? To tell you the truth, I don't even know if I trust my vet anymore. I brought her in about 3 weeks ago for a checkup knowing that we are getting into brumation season and asked about testing her for this and the vet seemed very apathetic about testing. She said she would need to do a blood test and liver biopsy to test and would not recommend unless she begins to show signs of the disease. Why would I want to wait until she shows signs when I can try to supplement her now to prevent future problems? And, why didn't she know that it could be tested by a stool sample (she already had some since she was testing for parasites, which thankfully she is clear of). I wish I knew about Atadeno sooner, I would have had her tested a while ago.

auryncharm

Original Poster
I found the items that you suggested at bearded dragon.co . I just ordered some colloidal silver, milk thistle and some serrapeptase since I've read that this will help with calcium absorption. I have also helped my father send in for testing for his beardie. I have a sinking feeling that his will also be positive since they were purchased from the same place at the same time. I may wind up adopting his as well since he had already told me that he would not necessarily have the time to give her the extra intensive care that would be needed for her. Again, thankfully she is not showing symptoms either. I guess we will see what happens.

auryncharm

Original Poster
I just realized that when I answered your enclosure question earlier, that I forgot to include info on her uvb. I have a Reptisun 10.0 linear uvb. It was replaced in July and will be due again at the end if December/ beginning of January. I don't know if you need the info but thought that it may be important and wanted to include it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am glad to hear she is doing pretty well.
The Reptisun 10 tube bulb is fine, placed at 6-8 inches from her.
That is great you found the supplements to get her started on, also.
That is so nice of you to help your dad out with testing, too.
A lot of vets don't know about this test as it is somewhat new, but has been around for awhile though. I agree, being proactive with Atadeno is the best way to combat it to help out the liver.
Keeping her tank around 80 consistently at night will help her immune system, also.

I am glad she isn't showing any symptoms right now.
I will PM you as well.

Tracie

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Hello, I am sorry to hear about your girl, but you have the best helping you out right now. I too have an atadenovirus positive boy. It is not the end of the world and with proper care and supplements she can do very well.

auryncharm

Original Poster
Have you tried the colloidal silver? I am a bit nervous about its long term use, my vet warned too much metal can be toxic. But, I don't know that I necessarily trust everything that my vet says since she didn't seem to want to test her in the first place. I had to look into it myself. My concern is, is it safe for long term use?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The colloidal silver is safe to use frequently. You can cycle off & on as you would like.
As with anything, it is good to give a break from time to time when supplementing.
How is her appetite doing? It sounds like you are doing a great job with her!

Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom