pygmy living with Adenovirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

madink

:D Hi, Rex & I are new to the forum. Rex is my 8 month old pygmy dragon who has been diagnosed with adeno.
I have been reading up on all the info on this site regarding the virus & it has been really helpful. My only concern is that most of the issues/remedies seem to be dealing with "full size" dragons.
Rex is 8 months old, weighs 38grams & approx. 4.5" long. he is a bright, loving little soul who only recently started to display problems. 1st went off his food & stopped growing, gaining weight. trip to the vet showed coccidian which I have treated successfully :D however Rex's walking has deteriorated rapidly. He is REALLY uncoordinated & sometimes rolls & falls over. Back to the vet as I thought it was MBD :| x-ray & calcium density test? confirmed he was OK - no MBD but the vet said it was adeno.
He doesn't "hunt" crickets anymore. He will eat newly hatched mealworms (if he wants to !) but mainly I mix his vitamins & calcium with baby food & bee pollen & he will lick it off my finger.
Sorry for the rambling ... basically I would like to know if anyone could suggest the amount of food he should be consuming - or ANY other tips you could offer. thanks ... Dee

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Dee,

Oh I bet Rex is so cute. Are you in the US or Australia?
How did he diagnose adeno, was a test done? Was a blood test done to confirm his calcium levels? You mentioned a calcium density test, are you referring to the 25-Hydroxy ionized calcium blood test?
Which UVB light are you using, is it a fluorescent tube bulb or a compact/coil light?
How is his appetite doing right now?
It seems a little odd though that he didn't exhibit these symptoms earlier on, as they normally do.
At his weight, he probably doesn't need more than 25 feeders per week, at the most, maybe even 20 but is he still growing also? I don't believe they stop growing until they are around a year or a little older. I know they don't get very large though.

Tracie

madink

Original Poster
Hi Tracie,

I glad to say Rex is doing EXTREMLY well atm :D to be honest, I couldn't tell you the exact names of the tests they did, I was sitting in the corner sobbing waiting for the X-ray to come back. I did manage to compose myself & look at the X-ray. The vet explained what was good & I turned off there. All his bones where perfect & I can't give you exacts but she did say his bone density looked good & the other tests came back fine - except for the virus. She gave him some magic vitamin shot & he has not looked back since.
He has a tube exo terra 10 UVB? He has shed beautifully twice since & is eating about 5 roaches a day, sometimes more & one silkworm & about half a bowl of vege's.
He's bright, alert, pooping daily & running around. Except for his "unusual" walking - you would never know he had anything slightly wrong.
I will try & work out how to put pics up because he is so cute.

Thanks ... Dee

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Dee,

Great, Australia huh?
I hope to see pictures of him soon.
Did the vet do a blood test to determine adeno, or a fecal smear test? Just making sure he actually tested for it & isn't just assuming that is what it is. I personally haven't heard of it being very common with Pygmy dragons, but I have never kept one though. If he did a blood test & his calcium levels were fine then it could be something else like the virus. Did this come on all of the sudden though?

Try switching out the UVB light from the Reptiglo 10 tube bulb. They do not have the greatest UVB wavelength/spectrum for D3 synthesis & can hinder the ability to absorb calcium properly. You should be able to find the Arcadia D3 12% tube bulb down under, or even the Zoomed Reptisun 10 tube bulb, either one. They are much stronger UVB lights.
So, he could be exhibiting metabolic bone disease issues. It could be early symptoms of low calcium affecting him which happens frequently. The blood tests appear normal along with the x-rays, but their calcium levels are starting to drop & it doesn't register enough to be considered. Do you have a copy of the blood test I could see?
Are you using powdered calcium once daily 4-5 times per week for him?

Let us know how Rex is doing.

Tracie

madink

Original Poster
We have an vet check on Monday ( it's Tuesday now) I will get the X-rays & post them to you. I'm not sure what tests she did or if the virus was an assumed diagnosis. She did say there have been a lot of dragons tested with confirmed A.
I have tried but can't load pics on this site. I wish you could see him! He is so smart he comes when u call him ( albeit at a very awkward rate) he is waiting at the glass edge when I get home & he has such a beautiful nature, I just want to squeeze him every time I take him out if his encousure.
I will change his UVB lite if that what u suggest. My vet said it was OK so that's why I have kept it.
Being in Australia & spring, he does get at least an hour of hot sun a day. When I'm home he has 4-6 hours of natural sun daily.

Yes, I do dust his food with calcium. It doesn't stick to the roaches but I do put a **** load on his veges so even if he's getting 2 mouth fills a day- it should be enough ???

Again thanks Tracie, I appreciate the feedback & reply x

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Dee,

I will PM you my email if you want to send a picture there. Did you try photobucket.com to upload your pics them download & copy/paste the URL image onto here?
I would be interested in any data for adeno she could pass down to you. Adeno is not as common in Australia though as it is here in the US.
I am glad to hear he is doing well & basking normally. That is great he gets natural sunshine, that most definitely helps tremendously. I do recommend getting the UVB replaced though. That way in the winter you have a light for him when he can't go outside.
He sounds so adorable! He waits for you to get home too? That is so sweet.
That should be fine on the calcium, too. Does he eat a good amount of veggies & greens?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Dee,

I got the pictures & video, thanks. :D
How is Rex doing today?
Did you find out what tests were done?
Have you been able to find the Reptisun 10 tube or the Arcadia D3 12%, either one?
I will email you also.

Tracie

madink

Original Poster
Our vets appointment is Monday - I will let you know then. Apart from his walk, there is nothing abnormal at all. He is eating like its his last meal lol. Even started eating his greens EVERY DAY !
I have ordered the new globe - had to get one online & I will install it ASAP. If his bone density was good & his blood tests were good, what do you think might be the cause of his problem? I will ask the vet for his X-rays & try & email them to you just so you can have a look.

But as I said, he is doing great. This is the 1st Rankins I have had & he is so adorable.
Did you think he looked good in the pictures? P.s he has put on more weight in the last 2 weeks - little piggy - so that's a good sign

Dee

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Dee,

Great, I am glad you got the new light ordered. Hopefully it will help out for him.
How long has he been exhibiting these types of symptoms?
As far as weight, he looks pretty good. He has been gaining weight recently also?
He is a little cutie pie.
That is great he is eating his greens now also, that helps out.
It would be nice to look over the blood tests & or x-rays just to view them.

Thanks. Keep us posted on Rex.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom