On Albon for coccidia but vet has not recommended probiotics

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaninja

Hello all,

My 3-4 month old juvenile bearded dragon, Fernie, was diagnosed with pinworms and coccidia through a fecal test. He has a 3+ count of both. He was prescribed albon and panacur but the vet has not prescribed or recommended a pro-biotic to go along with it. Our vet is not a reptile vet although he does consult reptile vets and does his own research to help us. I know he's not familiar with reptile diseases or infections. I asked him about giving Fernie yogurt to help keep the good gut bacteria stay intact, but he felt that Albon wouldn't affect his appetite or gut flora and said to stay away from the yogurt unless we saw his appetite decreasing. I feel like we should have been feeding him soy yogurt from the get-go, but now, five days into Albon (we only dose him with the panacur once a week for two weeks), there is a slight decrease in appetite where live feeders are concerned...he's only eating about 10-12 a day whereas he was eating up to 15 before and he wants little to nothing to do with his veggies and he was such a good vegetable eater before! He was already under-eating before he was diagnosed and is having trouble putting on some weight. He's 30 grams. Its hard to get the vet to respond the same day if I call because they're so busy. Should we be feeding Fernie soy yogurt? Any particular flavors? And how much and when to administer it?

Thanks for your help!

Edit: On another board, I asked the same question and a member told me to use manuka honey instead of yogurt. This person said not to feed them human foods that they wouldn't find in the wild, and the yogurt can actually do more harm than good. Does anyone have an opinion on this honey?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Shaninja....manuka honey can be used as a probiotic, it's also an excellent wound dressing. I couldn't tell you how much to give, but a few drops would be a guess. If it's very stiff to work with, mix it with just a bit of warm water. Other good probiotics are Benebac and Acidophiliz +, both of which might be found in larger pet stores if you call around or ordered from one of the mods. here [ Tracie ] username Drache613. I've heard that soy yogurt is good as well....don't know how much to give though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom