First Time Coccidia Battle [new question]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
For those of you who have dealt with Coccidia, what do you recommend as far as cleaning schedule etc etc? Zero's favorite thing to do is poop on his basking rock and/or hammock... He's gonna have to have the basking rock in there, but I know furniture is supposed to be limited. Any pointers?

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
I haven't personally treated coccidia. One tip indeed would be to remove as many pieces of furniture as you can. Maybe use some cardboard boxes that you can just toss if he poops on them/at the end of the treatment. That will at least give him something to do/climb on. Other tips...
remove the slate tile and put down paper towels during treatment. that way it will keep disinfecting to a minimum. Bleach doesn't kill coccidia - don't even bother. You need that disinfectant you mentioned and/or a steam cleaner. Make sure you have probiotic to offer him. The coccidia meds will likely put him off his food, and the probiotics will help with that. You can use soy yogurt or order Acidophiliz+ from beardeddragon.co.

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Oh okay, so I'll skip the bleach, but I'll still get the tub and I'll look for some soy yogurt. Anything I should know specifically about the soy yogurt? Flavor/ingredients/additives to watch out for?

I have a feeling I'm going to be hitting up a lot of grocery stores before I find soy yogurt...

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I definitely would recommend investing in a steam cleaner. With the amount of cleaning your going to be doing, it will be worth its weight in gold.

And a big second to the above suggestion of keeping tank furnishings to a minimal. And if you can, no porous items, such as a log with many cracks and crevices in it.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You most likely will have to go to some special health store to find soy yogurt. It might just be my area but not one single grocery store carried it, and I got weird looks from everyone I asked lol.

-Brandon

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
As for soy yogurt, I'm gonna check the super organic stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's and Oliver's Market. As for a steam cleaner, I'll look into cheap ones, but after his vet visit and paying rent, I'm severely low on cash.

Am I looking for like a handheld steam cleaner or one of those fancy uprights with a hose? What sort of steam cleaners do you guys have?

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Umm I found soy yogurt at whole foods. Not sure if there is one where you live though, obviously. Pretty much any kind will do. If you can find one that doesn't have too much sugar, that would be better, but for the amount you'll be using I don't think it's a huge issue. I used some when Max had pinworms. When his appetite went downhill over winter, I ordered some AcidophiLiz+. Not sure how much it helped, but I felt better at least. :lol:

I got a handheld steam cleaner on Amazon for about $20 I think.

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Okay, Whole Foods it is, at first at least. As for the steam cleaner on Amazon, I'll see if I can find one at Walmart so I have one more immediately.

brittani299

Extreme Poster
I dealt with it. I used paper towels and removed them everyday. Make sure that you use the probiotic and hydrate very well. I learned that was super important. Bleach doesn't kill coodia. That disinfectant from Cheryl really works well. It took me 2 weeks but I got rid if it

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Awesome! Thanks much!

I'm off to do my shopping.

• ~Large Plastic Bin
    ~Steam Cleaner
    ~Soy Yogurt

I better not forget anything..

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
In regards to the Soy Yogurt, is there anything I should know in regards to feeding? How often/not often? When in regards to the meds?

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
So everything's been soaked and dried and it's 10 minutes to Zero's bedtime. At night I have to cover his viv to block out the light from my home and his viv still smells like the disinfectant even though everything's dry. Is it okay to put him in there and cover the viv?

I don't cover it completely on top, there is some air flow.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom