I have a beardie with adenovirus, should i avoid other pets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raicardso

My beardie Zeus has had the adenovirus for a while now. I had made a thread about him like 3 months ago asking for advice and all that on him. Just a little update on how hes doing with the virus. He's doing really well right now. He's going to the bathroom a lot more constantly now. AT LEAST every other day instead of how it use to be when it took him 5 days to go to the bathroom. He's throwing up a lot less. His weight is pretty stable at around 620 grams, he's also at 22 inches. Still not eating though so we have to force feed him the critical care food. The carnivore one hurts his stomach so we use mostly the vegetarian one. He also runs around and gets exercise for at least 40 minutes a day ( he LOVES running around).

Anyways this thread isn't about that, it's about if i should avoid getting any other pet? I've been really, really, really interested in getting a leachie gecko recently but I'm hesitant since Zeus has the virus. How contagious is the virus? Since the gecko obviously isn't going to be in the same cage will he mostly likely get it if i let him run around the house also?
Thank you for any response!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am happy to hear he is doing better now & seems to be digesting his food more efficiently.
It sounds like he is more active also, hopefully he is feeling better. At least he is getting some exercise also running around, that is important.
Do you have any pictures of him, he is a good sized dragon at that length.
He is using just the critical care instead of the carnivore care? That is ok, it is just as good!

The virus does not jump species but is species specific so since they wont be housed together, your new gecko will be fine. Just wash your hands though between handling, for best hygiene.

Keep us posted on Zeus.

Tracie

Raicardso

Original Poster
IMG130_zpsf9c77d53.jpg

IMG134_zps6f7234da.jpg

IMG146_zpsf11d1273.jpg

There's big poppa (what we call him around the house :D)

Edit- There is the two different types of critical care, the carnivore and herbivore and it seems like the carnivore one hurts his stomach. I think it has too much protein. So we use mainly the herbivore and sometimes mix in some carnivore with it.

Lenewen

Juvie Member
Nice looking leatherback! Sorry to hear he's sick. He looks very healthy, you've done a great job taking care of him. Props!

Raicardso

Original Poster
Lenewen":2x5z283q said:
Nice looking leatherback! Sorry to hear he's sick. He looks very healthy, you've done a great job taking care of him. Props!
Thank you very much! Since he's our only beardie he gets to get spoiled :p

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
A very nice looking dragon. I would say wash hands after handling but I would do this with a negative dragon also.

Raicardso

Original Poster
pscaulkins":3jvvengm said:
A very nice looking dragon. I would say wash hands after handling but I would do this with a negative dragon also.
Thank ya! Yeah we go through a lot of hand sanitizer here :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom